Requests for documentation

Group for those who want to contribute to the Help file

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Ty

Ty

Requests for documentation

Post by Ty »

Here are some suggested/requested topics for nice "help file style" documentation.

If you'd like to do original writing for the help file on these topics, that would be great. If you know of existing writing that we could use in the help file, from the XnView forum or any other source, then pointing me at that would also be helpful.

Topics are deleted from this list as soon as somebody starts work on them. If you undertake a topic, please let me know immediately so I can take it off this list and somebody else doesn't duplicate your efforts.

1. Metadata: what it is, how it works, how it should be used, benefits, disadvantages, when NOT to use it, etc.

2. Command line switches: usage. I have a list of the switches, but only "Capture" is currently documented. See the latest help file to review what's been done thus far.
Ty

Post by Ty »

Hello documentors,

Another category of help is the menu functions of XnView. I hope to have good, in-depth explanations for every function on every menu. So if you would like to contribute, pick a menu, and go through all of the options and provide a good discussion/description. Please see my notes on "Writing Guidelines."

Here's a sample, from the Tools > Options > General menu:

Only one instance:

If XnView is running, and you try to start it again, what do you want to happen? If this option is not checked, then a second (and third and fourth, etc.) XnView session will be opened when you request it. By checking this option, on the other hand, you prevent that from happening, and there will only ever been one XnView session working.

Index entries: Sessions, multiple sessions, single session, instances of XnView
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Hello Ty,
About (latest help file from here: http://www.microsabio.net/misc/help-en.chm )

I think it should be also very useful, to add and explain, into this help some extra-ini setting (custom setting in xnview.ini file) like :

TreeBackColor=0
TreeFontHiColor=14401321

VideoFramePercent=0

FolderColor1=11075583 or #FFFFA8
FolderColor2=5820671 or #FFD058
FolderColor3=38096 or #D09400
FolderColor4=7919871 or #FFD878
FolderColor5=5820671 or #FFD058

LabelColor_02=130 130 130 , 0 0 0
LabelColor_03=130 130 130 , 0 0 0
so and so ....

------------------------

Nconvert documentation with samples will be useful too
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
Ty

Post by Ty »

Hello Oops,

Thanks for this input.

I would be glad to include information on INI file settings. However, I don't know anything about this subject, and so would need somebody to write and/or explain it. Are you volunteering (I hope)??
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Hi Ty
I'm not an expert too about extra-INI file settings,
Maybe the best way is to ask the best expert : Pierre (the author)?
I presume he already has some notes about this topic !

Unfortunately I'm volunteering but no for this subject.

Have a nice day,
Regards,
Oops66
Ty wrote:Hello Oops,

Thanks for this input.

I would be glad to include information on INI file settings. However, I don't know anything about this subject, and so would need somebody to write and/or explain it. Are you volunteering (I hope)??
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64