Online help for XnView and nConvert

Group for those who want to contribute to the Help file

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Ty

xnview
Author of XnView

Online help for XnView and nConvert

Post by xnview »

XnView - Online Help
Online Help for XnView Classic, XnView MP and nConvert is available as a wiki (The conversion is not yet finished)
http://wiki.xnview.com/
It's a wiki so everybody can edit and help to improve the help documents...

XnView - FAQs
There are numerous FAQs around, the FAQ index provides a good overview.

Old help files for XnView Classic (Windows):
English
French (Français)
German (Deutsch)
Polish (Polski)
Korean (한국어)
Pierre.
oops66
XnThusiast

Re: Help file

Post by oops66 »

Thank you Pierre !
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
Ty

Post by Ty »

Nice job, Pierre. However, you should have said something, I could have helped with the project!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

The URL for the wiki has changed, now it's http://wiki.xnview.com/
Pierre.
Keatah

Post by Keatah »

Yuck. Another on-line help file..
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Ty

Post by Ty »

Hello Pierre, Helmut & other old-timers...

Well, it's been five years since {we} decided to change from "normal" documentation to the wiki. The idea was that people would and could contribute to the wiki, and the doc would grow and improve over time.

However, that's seems NOT to have happened. Is that correct? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I don't see much--if anything--beyond what I had written and Pierre converted five years ago.

So I'm back to offer a new solution.

The documentation tool I use ("Doc To Help") easily creates both a self-contained help file (CHM) which can be installed with the software, and a web-based set of files that can be installed on a server somewhere. It would therefore be quite easy for me to generate one or both files, and repost them, whenever changes are made to the docs. The CHM has the benefit of being local, the web-based stuff has the benefit of always being up-to-date.

Here is an example of the web-based documentation in a "responsive" version, one that "responds" to the size of display device (tablet, phone, PC, etc) and displays in an optimum way for that platform. Please take a look and see if going to this new model is something we should consider.

http://www.microsabio.net/dist/doc/conref/00ashref.htm

Best regards to all---
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Hi,
Ty wrote: However, that's seems NOT to have happened. Is that correct? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I don't see much--if anything--beyond what I had written and Pierre converted five years ago.
Yes :( and yes perhaps it will be good to use your tools....
Pierre.
Ty

Post by Ty »

I found all my old files, and will work on reconstructing the old documentation. Then we'll move forward. Please be thinking about how I'm going to post (ftp?) files to a server somewhere, and then you'll link to the doc "home page" on the XnView help menu. Also: do you want to have BOTH on-line files and a local CHM? That means on the help menu you have to have two different links, which may be confusing. I'm at tygrif /at/ gmail.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Please consider a local CHM. Perhaps it would cover only the basics (that rarely if ever change) with a redirection to the web pages for the "advanced stuff".

There are still many usage cases (even in the second decade of the 21st century... "it's the fewchure!") where the internet is either inaccessible or available only on dial-up.

I'm willing to contribute a topic or two.
John
Ty

Post by Ty »

Hey John Fred... okay. It's no problem for me to create a CHM and even keep it updated. The (minor) problem is: where do I send or place the latest version so that it is automatically included in the latest installation build by Pierre or whoever builds the installation program? Thanks for the input. And thanks for the offer of writing. I hope all the old-timers and experts will contribute.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Ty

Farm out a topic or two to me and I will take a shot.
John
Ty

Post by Ty »

Okay, I will. But not for a while. I have to re-assemble and update the files from 5/6/7 years ago (when I took the first shot at this project), build the new deliverables, and then see what we need and are missing. I'll get back to you. Other folks who'd like to help please post your name here also.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

PM me any time.
John