Set Ghostscript folder when running in Windows

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Innarel

Set Ghostscript folder when running in Windows

Post by Innarel »

I'm running XnView in Windows 10 and I have a portable installation of Ghostscript.
XnView lacks an option to set where Ghostscript is installed in order to use the dll to open PDF files.
Attachments
temp.jpg
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Set Ghostscript folder when running in Windows

Post by xnview »

you can set XNVIEW_GS_DLL & XNVIEW_GS_LIB environment vars
Pierre.
baertiger

Post by baertiger »

Hi, Pierre,
I have the same problem like Innarel. If I change from one picture to the next, I get the message
Fehlermeldung XN-View Ghostscript.jpg
Fehlermeldung XN-View Ghostscript.jpg (47.79 KiB) Viewed 818 times
and in my german settings I do not have the Interface - Formats option:
XMView Setting.jpg
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

baertiger wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:06 am I have the same problem like Innarel. If I change from one picture to the next, I get the message
Do you have installed ghostscript?
Pierre.
PPJ

Post by PPJ »

Hello,
First of all Pierre thank you for having created this software, and for keeping on supporting the users for a long time.

I am really sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but i do not understand what it does mean :
xnview wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:06 am you can set XNVIEW_GS_DLL & XNVIEW_GS_LIB environment vars
I guess (?) it means I should copy paste "XNVIEW_GS_DLL & XNVIEW_GS_LIB" in a file somewhere... but my knowledge is very limited. If someone whith a bit of experience could help me by telling me precisely some steps, it would be very useful for me.
I'm on Windows 10, installed Ghostscript 64 bits
https://www.ghostscript.com/download/gsdnld.html
Then I rebooted my computer, but I still can't read PDF files with xnView MP, with the error message which tells me to install Ghostscript 64 bits.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

PPJ wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:38 pm Hello,
First of all Pierre thank you for having created this software, and for keeping on supporting the users for a long time.

I am really sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but i do not understand what it does mean :
xnview wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:06 am you can set XNVIEW_GS_DLL & XNVIEW_GS_LIB environment vars
I guess (?) it means I should copy paste "XNVIEW_GS_DLL & XNVIEW_GS_LIB" in a file somewhere... but my knowledge is very limited. If someone whith a bit of experience could help me by telling me precisely some steps, it would be very useful for me.
I'm on Windows 10, installed Ghostscript 64 bits
https://www.ghostscript.com/download/gsdnld.html
Then I rebooted my computer, but I still can't read PDF files with xnView MP, with the error message which tells me to install Ghostscript 64 bits.
In the past installing GS into the default folder for 64-bit software has automatically set up the environment variables required, whether the installed or as far as I recall the portable ZIP XnView version is used. I have certainly used ZIP versions without any issue that I recall opening PDFs, although not on Windows 10 as I mainly use Linux now. I certainly haven't edited any environment variables... :wink:

If environment variables do need to be changed, it would normally be necessary to use an appropriate tool, and to proceed with great care preferably after making a restore point. However, a quick online search provides as one result this simpler guide for Windows 10 How to change environment variables on Windows 10.

But due to a number of recent GS changes that have several times broken compatibility with XnView software, it seems likely that the problem you are experiencing may simply be due to having installed a GS version that isn't compatible with the XnView software version that you have installed. A pain, and a problem that could not be overcome by editing the environment variables used. I assume that you have installed GS 64-bit for use with 64-bit software.

Edit:

The above does not take account of any changes Pierre has made to maintain compatibility with new GS versions, if they require any new actions.

And a different issue arises when using a portable version on a computer on which you do not have full access rights: GS is only available as an installer, and so can not be installed in that case. It is possible that the PortableApps versions of XnView software and GS may provide a solution, but as far as I know no-one has reported back on whether that is the case.

Have you installed the current version 0.98.4 64-bit?

And does anyone know which recent GS version is compatible?