Convert proposal

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Convert proposal

Post by xnview »

The first tab is to add/remove files.
The second tab (the process) you can add process (like xnview 1.97) in the toolbox, and you can view the result on a picture (from filelist).

What do you think?
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Re: Convert proposal

Post by JohnFredC »

Just as an aside, I don't personally care for this "checkerboard" approach to dialog organization. See my recent posts about reorganizing other XnView dialogs.

My thinking lately about the distribution of batch tasks has been:
  • · Input (filelist)
    · Image Edit Steps (script builder, etc)
    · Output (renaming, paths, conversion type, etc.)
    · Log (formatted output log, real-time plus ability to save/print a report)
For batch renaming only, the user would not populate the "edit steps" list, skipping directly to the Output options to setup the naming template/file type conversion, path, etc.

There are other, more specific, things also needed, but I'll wait to suggest them until we see mockups of the final tab layouts...

I really like the way the script save/delete buttons are directly beside the script combo box. Very clear and intuitive exactly what they do, and an efficient use of dialog real estate.
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote: There are other, more specific, things also needed, but I'll wait to suggest them until we see mockups of the final tab layouts...
You have already the layout of process layout here????
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

How will that process list work?

Does clicking on a "step" header (such as resize) display a subpanel a la the "outlook control" metaphor?

That's a lot of interaction, control movement, and scrolling when the batch list is long. I probably prefer the layout of the 1.97 panel with the steps on the left and the options on the right, such as the following mock-up:

John
ramses

Post by ramses »

I found it's really better than in 1.97
I suggest you add some little arrow near Resize, Rotate, etc... to open/close the details of each tool.
If you convert just one file, it's easy to compare the result and the original picture. But if you work on a lot of them, it will be better to display two images, before and after the work.
It would be nice to have more choice for the output file name.
And I wonder to know how is the tab for the input files !
Jean
LinuxMint 15 / XnView MP 0.64
ramses

Post by ramses »

When I post my text, I didn't saw the JohnFredC one's.
I found the sub-panel intersting, but I suggest to open it over the "Processing action" one. When you have finish to fix parameters of the step you open, you come back to the list of steps. Then it's place for picture(s) on the right and few movements.
Jean
LinuxMint 15 / XnView MP 0.64
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:How will that process list work?

Does clicking on a "step" header (such as resize) display a subpanel a la the "outlook control" metaphor?
No, when you click on the header, the subpanel is opened below (like you can see in my screenshot for resize). I think that it's important to have a picture view to be able to view the result!

You think that output must be in a separate tab??

For filename, you will be able to use same pattern as 'batch rename'
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

xnview wrote:No, when you click on the header, the subpanel is opened below (like you can see in my screenshot for resize).
Yes, that's what I thought and I don't recommend it. It is very inefficient for GUI interaction. I've embedded similar controls in my own software in the past and conclude they require too many clicks, too much scrolling. The sliding panel metaphor seems to work much better for toolbar-like requirements. It is not good for settings panels.

What will happen if there are too many settings to fit in the little panel? Require the user to scroll?

Not good.
I think that it's important to have a picture view to be able to view the result!
What result are you referring to? Is the entire batch applied in real-time to the "picture view" image so that a change in a setting changes the appearance of the preview? With the large images most of us work with these days, that would be 'way too slow to be useful.

That's why I think the image preview should go on the file list tab (not the actions/steps tab) where it provides feedback for the file selection process.

However, if you want to display the image preview for all tabs, then it should be in its own dedicated region of the dialog above (or below) a splitter, as in my other dialog proposals.

Also, a preview of the effects without a "before and after" viewing capability is essentially useless.
You think that output must be in a separate tab??
That is the way I would do it. Output is a separate component of the batch, has many possible settings (more than show in your example, for instance).
John
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

PS.

Pierre, my opinions are based on my own experience as a developer and user only. I don't have any hard CHI data on the outlook control metaphor to back up my comments about it (see above post).

Perhaps others feel differently.
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote: What will happen if there are too many settings to fit in the little panel? Require the user to scroll?
Yes scrollbar but you have always only ONE setting opened, if you click on 'Rotate', settings for 'Resize' are closed...
I think that it's important to have a picture view to be able to view the result!
What result are you referring to? Is the entire batch applied in real-time to the "picture view" image so that a change in a setting changes the appearance of the preview? With the large images most of us work with these days, that would be 'way too slow to be useful.
Many users want to view the result of their actions, so it's a picture from your filelist. This preview is updated when you want.

Another test:
mp-convert2.png
mp-convert2.png (119.52 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
Here you can show/hide the preview.

So all actions+settings in a toolbox (like first screenshot) or actions list + settings??
Pierre.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Nice look ! , it will be also interesting to have some information on the fly for:
At least, the size in Mega Bytes or KB (before & after the conversion for the selected image)
... Color mode, Set transparency Color, quality, so and so ... (Like Tools\Export into XnView v1.97) ?
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Pierre:
So all actions+settings in a toolbox (like first screenshot) or actions list + settings??
Actions list + settings would be my personal very strong preference.

Also, perhaps a "split screen" before-and-after instead of (or in addition to) the tabs would be useful.

OTOH, if there are many batch actions in the script, what benefit is there for seeing the "after" of just one action? There would be no relationship to the final output! Indeed, the "After" could be very misleading!

Also, what would you show for Resize or DPI (for instance) in the "after" tab? Some actions have no meaningful "after" preview.

I think the user could be very confused about the actual status of the "after" image preview.

MP is an opportunity to finally get this dialog exactly right. No point in rushing the design. The UI needs more thought.
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote: OTOH, if there are many batch actions in the script, what benefit is there for seeing the "after" of just one action? There would be no relationship to the final output! Indeed, the "After" could be very misleading!

Also, what would you show for Resize or DPI (for instance) in the "after" tab? Some actions have no meaningful "after" preview.
The preview is the result of ALL batch actions. In v1.97, you can't see a preview of actions added...
MP is an opportunity to finally get this dialog exactly right. No point in rushing the design. The UI needs more thought.
Yes more thought :-)
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

xnview wrote:The preview is the result of ALL batch actions. In v1.97, you can't see a preview of actions added...
Really!?!

Well, then, that could be very cool if the rendering was very fast.

A question:

If a user selects an action in the list, will the preview show the results at that place in the sequence of actions?

Like this?
  • Click on Action 1 -> Preview shows Action 1 results
    Click on Action 2 -> Preview shows Action 1 + Action 2 results
    Click on Action 3 -> Preview shows Action 1 + Action 2 + Action 3 results
If it works this way, then I would be very enthusiastic. Excited, even.

Has to be very fast, though.
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:Well, then, that could be very cool if the rendering was very fast.
Some actions can be slow :-)
If a user selects an action in the list, will the preview show the results at that place in the sequence of actions?

Like this?
  • Click on Action 1 -> Preview shows Action 1 results
    Click on Action 2 -> Preview shows Action 1 + Action 2 results
    Click on Action 3 -> Preview shows Action 1 + Action 2 + Action 3 results
If it works this way, then I would be very enthusiastic. Excited, even.
You means when you select an action to change some settings? Yes i would like to work like that...
I would like that user can see the result of its actions.... I'll add a 'update' button, it's not possible to update the preview each time that a setting is changed...
Pierre.