Convert proposal

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Re: Convert proposal

Post by JohnFredC »

For me the important thing would be the incremental nature of the preview. The user should be able to choose to see a preview of all the steps "up to that point" in the sequence.

Perhap the following option:

Preview Rendering
  • (•) Show final rendering of all Actions in script applied in sequence
    ( ) Show incremental rendering of all Actions up to and including the selected Action
    ( ) Show rendering of selected Action only
John
ramses

Post by ramses »

Remember that each action can be enable or disable in the panel "Processing". So, as usual user using this kind of tool, what I need is the final result.
And if I want just action 2 and 3, I disable actions 1 and 4. So more options are not useful.
In the preview panel (if open) I really need before and after together to compare.
If you have just Resize or DPI actions don't open the preview panel!
Jean
LinuxMint 15 / XnView MP 0.64
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I foresee a new manner of working with images in XnView... an incremental manner of working with images.

For instance the user might want to exchange the position of two actions and review the result before committing to the final rendering. An intermediate rendered preview of the action chain linked to the selected action would be fantastic. Lightroom has something similar in the history palette.

2Pierre

This would be too powerful a tool to be a dialog.

It should be a TAB!!!

The script is the artifact or by-product of the user interaction... like a recording.
John
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

The preview is good, but quite useless now, because of tabs. I suggest to show both, before and after preview at the same time and add some basic information (for both): file size (auto), image dimensions...
Dreamer
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Here is how Lightroom does it.

Notice how the selected history action (left panel) is cumulatively reflected in the "After" image (right side of right panel).

In the upper snapshot, an action in the middle of the sequence has been selected. Note the appearance of the "After" image.

In the bottom view, the final action of the sequence has been selected. Note the appearance of the "After" image.

The user can select any step in the sequence and view the cumulative adjustment at that point in the "After" image, just as described above for the MP Batch dialog.

Also notice the various options for the before and after comparisons beneath the Before/After images.

It seems to me this approach for building batch scripts could just as easily be applied to ad hoc image adjustment in XnView MP... with the result being BOTH an adjusted image (if desired) AND a savable script (if desired).

A "merged" tool set, if you will.

It is not too hard to take the next logical step and realize that different scripts = different versions (if the original image is preserved untouched)...
John
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Not bad, but I think it's important to see the whole image, also because the "after" image might be cropped, AR might be changed, you need to see the specific area before and after... Also the file size is more important than EXIF time IMO.

I like the before/after image in export dialog, in XnView Windows, I'd change just image size and add image dimensions next to file size.
Dreamer
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Naturally, LR supports all variations. So should XnView:

John