view multiple photos at once on MacOS X?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

onlinespending

view multiple photos at once on MacOS X?

Post by onlinespending »

I use XnViewMP for the Viewer mode (not the Browser) on my Mac. I have XnViewMP to be the default image app. It opens an image fine when I click on one in Finder. But when I click on another image, it replaces the one that was shown. I can't seem to have two or more images on the screen at once despite having "One instance of program only" unchecked. Admittedly I'm new to MacOS, so perhaps I'm missing something obvious.
budz45
XnThusiast

Re: view multiple photos at once on MacOS X?

Post by budz45 »

Yes this feature was one of my favourite to always use in XnView 1.9x - Loading multiple pictures (and only those files) in a single view at one time

I believe that this feature will return to the next XnView MP:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=19703
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=19697 <---- I was previously mistaken
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
onlinespending

Post by onlinespending »

I'm not even talking about selecting multiple files from the XnView Browser. I'm simply talking about clicking on one photo...and then another...from within Explorer or Finder in the case of MacOS. I would expect each photo to open in its own window. But it does not. If I have one photo open and click on another photo it will replace the first photo as the only open photo.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Sorry for getting confused.

Right,

So you think "One instance of program only" is not working?? :(

Now try enabling "Open only one image tab" with the "One instance of program only" still disabled and see? <---- A second program window opened for me tested with two image files :)
Last edited by budz45 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
onlinespending

Post by onlinespending »

Yeah unfortunately that did not work for me. Still only showing one image at a time, at least in Mac OSX.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Why don't you like tabs? Opening images in separate tabs?

Anyway you prefer windows that's fine.

Opening images in separate program windows IS working for me in XnView MP 0.39, Windows 7 sp1. Providing the two settings I posted above are applied and the program is restarted.

I tested it by doing two individual Drag & drop of images files to the xnview.exe - and they each opened in separate program window instances.

So this sounds like a bug issue with the Mac OSX build of XnView MP? :( Should be rectifiable
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

You have not picture opened in a different tab??
Pierre.
bucky

Post by bucky »

You can open multiple instances of XnViewMp on Mac. From a Terminal command line:

open -n /Applications/XnViewMP.app/
Ban-ben

Post by Ban-ben »

hello, same thing here. I couldn't find any solution. I'd like to display multiple pictures at the same time on my secondary monitor and be able to arrange the layout(i use photo references for my job). Multiple Tabs views are not efficient as I have to click to navigate each time i want to switch from picture A to B to C...

I guess the only way to get multiple views at the same time is to go down to the code lines as mentioned above, and navigate through the instances to get to the picture we want to display eacht time I start my job routine? I used Xnview on windows, it was way more simple i liked it better. Just double click on the desired pictures to get a unique window for each and be free to display them on the monitor for direct comparisons as it could be on a wall of pictures in an office.

Xnview is a great software but I wish it worked the same way on both windows and mac OSx.
natsu

Post by natsu »

I have the same case with @Ban-ben, is there any update?