Albums needed!

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

orbspider

Albums needed!

Post by orbspider »

I think it was mentioned before by some one somewhere on this forum...

The need for albums which we can create to hold images/files from many places, without making hard copies of the files to another folder.

It would be great to tag files or filter the DB with rating and then put selected files into an album to keep them together safely.

1.Storing searches in tree pane: smart albums
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Albums needed!

Post by XnTriq »

How does this differ from your request for “work trays”? Could you elaborate on this?
orbspider

Post by orbspider »

Worktrays or named and switchable tags = are for selecting and sorting files into groups while browsing through a large list,
  • the grouped files should then at some time be used for a batch process, copying, or moving to an Album
Albums or folders with symlinks to files = where you can keep files together permanently, until Album is removed/cleared out

Without Albums and Worktrays I have to:
  • Select files of subject A and Ctrl-1 asign rating 1 star
    Select files of subject B and Ctrl-2 asign rating 2 star
    add a category for subject A
    add a category for subject B
    filter DB for rating 1 star rating
    select-all and asign the category for subject A
    filter DB for rating 2 star rating
    select-all and asign the category for subject B
this means that my groups can be kept safe and the files can be browsed again at any time.
If I had worktrays I wouldn't need to use starred ratings to sort out into groups and wouldn't need to keep the rating unused by other files
If I just asigned categories straight away without using rating first -that's quite possible, but rating has a keyboard shortcut which is faster than clicking on a category in Info pane
downer is that applying a category writes to the file and takes a little time to apply to several hundred files each time
whereas adding them to an Album will be fast
I wouldn't keep files in a Worktray, because I will need the worktrays for other work later.

If we had Albums, would we need worktrays?? that's a good question. Well we would have to drag files or right-click to add to an album, so different tags might win here because its just a >Switch tag >Hit Space bar to tag

Does it make any more sense now?? :?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

orbspider wrote:Does it make any more sense now?? :?
Thanks for the clarification, orbspider. I didn't mean to criticize your ideas. In fact, I'm glad you brought this (the concept of image basket / work tray / album) up again.
PwrSrg

Post by PwrSrg »

Did either of these EVER get implemented?? It sounds like it was slated for work 8 years ago.

I like everything about this software, but STILL can't seem to find ALBUMS.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

PwrSrg wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:33 pm Did either of these EVER get implemented?? It sounds like it was slated for work 8 years ago.

I like everything about this software, but STILL can't seem to find ALBUMS.
An album is only a search results? Or can be any files added?
Pierre.
Innarel

Post by Innarel »

Albums are like folders with symlinks to files, where you can keep files together permanently, until the Album is removed/cleared out.
jadO

Post by jadO »

Innarel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:10 pm Albums are like folders with symlinks to files, where you can keep files together permanently, until the Album is removed/cleared out.
From my understanding the idea of albums is simply an additional category like the root categories shown in the categories filter: Rating, Colour Label, People, Special Items and Categories.

In that case as a workaround an album functionality can already achieved today by using the categories tree. By creating a sub-item "albums" or "collections" one could create album items in that sub hierarchy and assign these to the intended files. Maybe it is not as handy as the TE had wished, but it does work.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.99.5. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
Gwenael Q.

Post by Gwenael Q. »

Hello

Thank you for this long awaited feature. User will find Albums in the category filter pane

My first "two cents" :

- Please consider adding the command "Album" in the right-click menu of an image (as for Category command)
- It could be useful to have the number of images inside each album displayed after the album name

Thank you for listening
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Gwenael Q. wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:54 am My first "two cents" :

- Please consider adding the command "Album" in the right-click menu of an image (as for Category command)
- It could be useful to have the number of images inside each album displayed after the album name
could you create a new post please?
Pierre.