beginning questions

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

BabaG

beginning questions

Post by BabaG »

about to start trying mp out for some things and will be asking a lot of questions as i get up to speed. have some os updating to do before i really get going but here are some preliminary questions:

i was able to run the program for the first time now that the 61 update is out and, in seeing the categories, wondered if i could change them to my own names. can i make my own categories?

how?

can i rename or delete existing categories?

does mp keep a database for this?

is it built in or do i need to install something myself? (i've seen reference to sqlite.)

thanks,
BabaG
osx 10.6.x
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: beginning questions

Post by m.Th. »

was able to run the program for the first time now that the 61 update is out and, in seeing the categories, wondered if i could change them to my own names. can i make my own categories?

how?

can i rename or delete existing categories?
Right-click on the desired category either in the Categories tree (upper left corner) either (better choice imho - you have an option in plus: "New subcategory") in the Categories tab from Info pane (usually in the lower left corner).
does mp keep a database for this?
Yes. It is (at the time of writing) xnview.db - you can go at Tools | Settings | Integration and press the 'Show DB location...' to see where it is located.
is it built in or do i need to install something myself? (i've seen reference to sqlite.)
The SQLite engine is built in right in the exe. You don't have to install anything except the program, of course.
thanks,
BabaG
osx 10.6.x
You're welcome. :)
Btw, you can add these in your signature: Go to the your User Control Panel (click on any Forum page in the upper left corner) and go to Profile | Edit Signature...
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
BabaG

Re: beginning questions

Post by BabaG »

thanks, m.Th.

very helpful. in a few days i'll be able to start trying things out in earnest. have to back up and upgrade a computer first, though. just ordered the backup drive today.

thanks again,
BabaG