Please offer XnView's 'ScrollVal' option in XnViewMP, too

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Kwith

Please offer XnView's 'ScrollVal' option in XnViewMP, too

Post by Kwith »

I'd like to be able to set the vertical scroll amount in XnViewMP, as it is possible in XnView (settings, ouse, scroll value).

To better understand the reason for my suggestion, please
- use a 1920 width monitor (or imagine you use one),
- download the example thumbsheet http://www.mediafire.com/view/x91h8xi1x ... mkv.ts.jpe,
- set vertical scroll to 232 and mousewheel to hover in image (rather than switching between files) in XnView,
- open the file in XnView,
- set to 100% zoom and press Ctrl+Home to browse the image from top, or Ctrl+End to browse it from bottom.
- Then scroll with the mouse wheel.
Note that the thumbnail positions remain fixed, i.e. the thumbnail lines do not drift up or down while you scroll, but the 4 thumbnail lines (1920x1080) stay at their positions. This gives a very ergonomic viewing experience. I do not know any other image viewer to do this with.

The example is a video thumbsheet created with an Avisynth script. I estimate these thumbsheets very high to quickly browse movies or my own holiday digicam clips, and have thousands of them.
XnView, to my knowledge, is the only image viewer with the option to set the vertical scroll to achieve this effect. With all other programs, including XnViewMP, the small scrolling steps challenge the eyes to locate the frames again and again, making the obervation more tedious. Furthermore, with images of this size (30856x1704 pixels), scroll steps are too small to get from top to bottom with reasonable mouse/key use.

I would have stayed with XnView and everything was fine, but unfortunately, XnView does not support Unicode characters in the path, and XnViewMP does. I really hope, because the user setting was already there in XnView, that it is not too complicated to copy it to the XnViewMP sources, and keep offering this feature.

EDIT 7/8/2016: oh, and very practical, the up/down keys also scroll by this value.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Please offer XnView's 'ScrollVal' option in XnViewMP, too

Post by xnview »

ok i'll add a setting
Pierre.
Kwith

Post by Kwith »

Thank you very much! I found it a little late because it has no GUI field. It works fine!
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

it has no GUI field
So, where is this setting ?