Fit Window to Image

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Just_Joe

Fit Window to Image

Post by Just_Joe »

I would like to use XnViewMP due to its support for Unicode in filenames, but one missing option still prevents me from doing so. For now I am using XnView because it has the option View -> Auto Image Size -> Fit window to image. This sets the image to display in its actual size and to shrink or enlarge the window to accommodate. Without this option, 1) images smaller than the window size are surrounded by a gray area and 2) images larger than the window will be barely visible at all.

I have XnView set to open each image in its own window, fit the window to the image, no tabs, no status bar, the only thing visible besides the title bar is the menu bar. XnViewMP can do all of this with the exception of auto-sizing the window.

Am I missing something? Is there any way around this behavior? I've been hoping for at least a year that this option would be added but can't for the life of me figure out why it isn't in XnViewMP yet.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Fit Window to Image

Post by xnview »

I can't add it in XnView MP.
Pierre.
dergilbwillspam

Post by dergilbwillspam »

I miss this option, too. But if for whatever reason this is not possible, well, then it is not possible.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

I would really like to be able to move away from ACDSee 2.5 and to use this branch of XnView with all the modern enhancements, but this is the single dealbreaker feature for me. Without it image viewing isn't really a modern experience. Please try porting it there has to be a way.
Jochen S.

Post by Jochen S. »

I'd like to understand what kind of images you have to deal with since I did not yet understand what you want to achive. With photos I have most of the time more image size than display size. So the image window could not be shown. And with smaller images I just use the browser view with large thumbnails and a filter on selected files. I always wondered why IrfanView has this option :wink: What size are your images? Probably I miss something, but what?
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Some people want either a borderless image viewer or at least one that has nothing but the simple Windows border and title bar. I think it's really simple to understand. A minimal way of viewing images and scrolling through a directory is great for some of us. Since this feature is in XnView Classic, having it in XnView MP isn't farfetched at all. Glaring omission for MP currently. I'd like to revisit the absolute usefulness of this option and not ignore it any longer. I'm looking to XnView for this because technically it already uses cleaner borders than IrfanView, and I really like MP's performance optimizations.
Jochen S.

Post by Jochen S. »

I do not say this option is not useful. But I still don't see how I'd use it.
For a "borderless image viewer with a minimal way to scroll through a directory" I use XnView MP. :D After opening an image I go to full screen view with F11. There I have no border at all, maximized window, I can move the mouse to the top to show a thumbnail list in which I can scroll with the mouse wheel. I have configured to only shrink larger images.
areimunde

Post by areimunde »

Pixel Eater wrote:Some people want either a borderless image viewer or at least one that has nothing but the simple Windows border and title bar. I think it's really simple to understand. A minimal way of viewing images and scrolling through a directory is great for some of us. Since this feature is in XnView Classic, having it in XnView MP isn't farfetched at all. Glaring omission for MP currently. I'd like to revisit the absolute usefulness of this option and not ignore it any longer. I'm looking to XnView for this because technically it already uses cleaner borders than IrfanView, and I really like MP's performance optimizations.
You can do that in full image view clicking with the mouse on it... I always have "Fit image to window (large only)" on to quick check images and when I want to view it in full I just click on the image and it blows up to full res...

I agree, however that, when blowed up by clicking on it all bars, toolbar, scrollbars... even title bar and window border should disappear to show only the full res image with no distractions ala Acdsee classic.
Squirrelly

Post by Squirrelly »

I know this is a little older message, but wanted to add that 'fit window to image' is a must-have for me too. Way back on unix I was using, I believe it was 'xv' to view images and really liked it. When I started using Windows I really didn't like any of the viewers until I found XnView, which worked so very similar to xv (quite possibly intentionally, giving the name and all, I don't know). And I've stuck with that. I just recently got a new computer and went to of course get XnView and saw XnViewMP, which I had noticed before but since I already had XnView I didn't switch. This is a new machine so thought yeah that would be great to try. But I'm having trouble getting it to do the behaviors of XnView that I use, such as this.

Normally when I'm viewing pictures I'm either opening one image in a folder and then using the mouse wheel to go through them in the single window. MP does that. Or I'm opening multiple images, and want them in separate windows each. I've figured out how to disable tabs, so that's good. But I need each window to show as much of the image as possible, and the window to take up as little space as possible with that image. Then I can place them about my desktop. And when I do things like zoom in/out, I want the window size to adjust as well. Same with using the mouse wheel to go through images. Much of the images I am viewing is artwork I've downloaded, so they come in lots of different sizes and aspects. As opposed to times I'm looking, for example, at a directory of photos I've taken.

But there is still XnView, so I can use that. But to switch to MP this is the main thing I seem to be missing.

Either way thanks for a great image viewer for windows! I've been using using XnView since I had Windows 95 or 98. :-)