Lacking resize options (improvement suggestion in post)

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Sabinoo

Lacking resize options (improvement suggestion in post)

Post by Sabinoo »

Hello!

Constructive criticism, based on the current latest stable 0.90 program version, I try to keep it readable, to help.

1/ Description of the current settings:

I have a concern with the "Action > picture resize" options in Xnview, they only allow to select either the longest or the shortest side.

See this screen capture, apologies that it it's in French but I trust you'll recognize the menus and all:
https://imgur.com/a/wq6bMvc

2/ The improvement suggestion

I think there should be 2 additional criteria in the dropdown list, for the things to which the resizing will be applied:
- image height
- image width

3/ Describing why the lack of those 2 options poses a problem at the moment

Why this is a problem, now, you may ask?
- Imagine we want to batch resize a set of high res photos because for one particular device with limited storage we won't need them too huge anyway. Choice is the default, to resize the longest side.
- As 95% of the images are vertically aligned, we ask, say, to shrink the longest side to 1800 px.
- But the remaining 5% are panoramic type images, horizontally aligned. They have had their width shrunk to 1800 px... and their height shrunk to a ridiculously smaller dimension in the 500-1000 px.So much resizing destroys the worth of the image at this point.
- At the present time, there is no way out of this, we need to take separately the panoramic images and apply to them a separate resizing procedure (with "shortest side" rule.)
- There wouldn't be this problem, it would be done in one single procedure, it we could say "resize the picture height to 1800 px".

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to avoid misunderstandings.
Good day to whoever reads it :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Lacking resize options (improvement suggestion in post)

Post by xnview »

it will be added in next release
Pierre.
Sabinoo

Re: Lacking resize options (improvement suggestion in post)

Post by Sabinoo »

You rule, Pierre :)