Please add support for dds file with BCn format in MP

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

cwcwyoon

Please add support for dds file with BCn format in MP

Post by cwcwyoon »

I'm using XnView MP and it works really great in my computer. I love the program.
However, I got an issue about dds files recently. I used MP to view my dds files and it worked fine until I installed new games.
I play Skyrim of Bethesda, and it uses dds files in DXT format. And MP works fine on these files.
But later games like Skyrim Special Edition and Fallout 4 of Bethesda, they use dds files in BCn format(like BC1, BC5, BC7).
But these dds files are recognized using DXT format in MP, thus they look broken in the viewer window.
So if I want to view these images, I have to use another program like Photoshop with additional plugin. And they're not light as MP.
I don't want to install another program to just view these files. Please consider to add support for it. Thank you in advance.
Magister

Re: Please add support for dds file with BCn format in MP

Post by Magister »

Actually, BC1=DXT1, BC2 = DXT3, BC3 = DXT5. What we need is support for the new BC7 format used in Skyrim SE, fallout 4, and presumably other games as well. it produces less compression artifacts than DXT5.

Please can you add support for this newer iterations of the DXT format? Thankyou.

EDIT: I have uploaded a normal map compressed in BC7 format. BC7 DDS textures open in Xnview but are displayed incorrectly and look like static (lots of small blocks of different colours).

Example File: https://mega.nz/#!FKoCEYpB!x4fmogmYCm2i ... el8oqexJqU
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

will be added in next version
Pierre.
JakobT

Post by JakobT »

Hi Pierre. Has this been implemented? I can't find any DXT or mip-mapping settings in v0.93.1.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JakobT wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:51 pm Hi Pierre. Has this been implemented? I can't find any DXT or mip-mapping settings in v0.93.1.
will be in next version
Pierre.
the_papy

Post by the_papy »

hello
Pierre with for x-plane too, i think need Mp dxt5 with alpha channel inside the dds
Do you have update version?
the_papy

Post by the_papy »

Can you have maybe BETA version for format DDS DXT5? im develloper and need work with alpha channel...
modalxn

Post by modalxn »

Hi,

First off, I am a big fan of XnView, thank you. Best image viewer around, hands down.

Any chance BC7 dds format support is still on the table?

If it helps at all, https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorganizer/releases has a working dds preview plugin (works in Win7 and 10), but this is not efficient for browsing through large groups of images.

Thank you.

*edit: apologies, I just realized BC7 does work on Windows 10 with XnViewMP (didn't seem to in Win7 last I had checked). So my request would be regarding the classic version.