Playback of video files and slideshows with mixed content (photos and videos)

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnView-User

Playback of video files and slideshows with mixed content (photos and videos)

Post by XnView-User »

Hi, I’m a longtime user and big fan of XnView Classic. The development of the newer XnView MP I’m constantly observing but stick for the time being to the, in my opinion more mature XnView Classic.

One thing that I find a bit annoying is that…

XnView Classic and XnView MP in their current versions are still not suitable for simple slideshows with mixed content (photos and videos).

XnView Classic can’t play *.mts und *.mp4 video files at all and doesn’t even display their thumbnails.

XnView MP is at least capable of displaying those thumbnails but is almost as useless for a playback of *.mts und *.mp4 videos. Yes, XnView MP can theoretically play these video files, in contrary to XnView Classic, but only jerky, choppy and with the audio sound also choppy and pretty much distorted.

It would be great if these issues could be resolved, some time.

Greetings to Pierre
Using: XnView Classic on a Windows 7 64-bit system and XnView MP on a macOS and Windows 10 system.
Jean_59

Re: Playback of video files and slideshows with mixed content (photos and videos)

Post by Jean_59 »

Xnview classic and MP do can play .mp4 files, provided the corresponding codecs are installed (don't know for .mts), but I agree with Xnview user, XnviewMP is not suitable for mixed slideshows; the wiewer of XnviewMP is poor compared to 'classic': jerky, choppy.. for at least 4 seconds in full screen and no diplay of time;
For me Xnviex classic is still the reference, and automatic slideshow with spacebar is fine to browse a folder containing both videos and photos.
Win 10-64, Intel i7, idsplay Dell U2413
Floflo81

Re: Playback of video files and slideshows with mixed content (photos and videos)

Post by Floflo81 »

100% agreed: I love using XnViewMP for photo slideshows, but when it includes videos I can't use it as the video player's performance is terrible.
In particular, I often have 1080p 60 FPS videos (MP4 format) I filmed with my camera, and playback in XnViewMP is stuttering all the time.
I can provide some sample files.

For now, I have to use Windows' "Photos" app instead, which plays these videos fine but is awful to use without a touch screen. 🤢

My system:
  • XnView MP 0.93 64 bits
  • Windows 10 build 1809 (64 bit)
  • Intel Core i5-2500K
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • Nvidia GTX 970
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnView-User wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:21 pm XnView MP is at least capable of displaying those thumbnails but is almost as useless for a playback of *.mts und *.mp4 videos. Yes, XnView MP can theoretically play these video files, in contrary to XnView Classic, but only jerky, choppy and with the audio sound also choppy and pretty much distorted.
on Windows 10?
Pierre.