Auto-Import Category Tags only from Files in Library

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Ihaveaproblem

Auto-Import Category Tags only from Files in Library

Post by Ihaveaproblem »

Hello!

I have a suggestion for a feature: An Option to auto-import existing category tags from files ONLY when the files are within own library folder and its sub folders.

Problem: When browsing random folders of images received from various foreign sources, friends etc, this sometimes automatically imports a bunch of category tags that "pollute" and "clutter" my own collection/system of category tags. Each time this happens, I must carefully clean up the mess in my tags, taking a lot of caution not to delete one of my own tags.

I extensively use the tagging feature to manage photo albums and I am not interested in any tags/metadata attached to received photos that I browse using this great Software XNViewMP.

Merci beaucoup!
8)
orbspider

Re: Auto-Import Category Tags only from Files in Library

Post by orbspider »

I mentioned this particular problem 8 years ago!! see here > Re: Here comes the Catalog

Every time I come across the Exclude list in Settings > Catalogue I imagine I can select a dir and keep the files in it from interfering with the database (meaning keywords) ... but I hear that this only excludes folders from thumbnail storage. Hmmm

So yes, if you download images they could have tons of funny keywords that will soon start cluttering the category list (and cleaning it up is a pain).

The way around it, if the pics have no valuable xmp data is to do a wipe of them first, but that's more work too. And an external program/command line.

Either folders outside of the root picture folder or **importantly** folders that are excluded from catalogue (ie on that list on 2nd tab) should not import their keywords to the database.

Chances are they are temporary files and don't need searching for with categories.

If one needs to add categories to them then that can be done anyway with Tools> Metadata, or even the category pane if the right ones are present.
orbspider

Post by orbspider »

I just remembered, there is one other work around!
  • Put the temporary files in a special location.
  • In Settings > Metadata, uncheck the "Import XMP subject or IPTC keyword to DB Categories" box
  • In Settings > Catalog, click on Add folder and find the location of these pictures
  • After that, check the box for "Import XMP subject or IPTC keyword to DB Categories" again
Result: temp images do not import any keywords to DB.
Drawbacks: any additional folders created in that location and browsed will import XMP/IPTC keywords to DB!!

Therefore the best solution is to completely exclude any folder that is in the exclude list, including their keywords!
Unless we can have check-boxes in the exclude list Pierre?

Code: Select all

Folder                                       Exclude thumbs               Exclude metadata
/media/D1/photos/Z-friends                   [x]                           [x]
Ihaveaproblem

Post by Ihaveaproblem »

orbspider, thank you for the details and the workaround.

I hope this option will be implenmented one day by Pierre.
Gwenael Q.

Post by Gwenael Q. »

I completely agree.

Xnview is a powerful viewer (and not only viewer) so we use it very frequently on images of all origins... but the tag database get inevitably polluted !!

Please consider this old request of adding an option like "Auto import Tags only from authorized folders" and a way tho define the list of authorized folders.

Thank you for listening
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

How often do you import files containing useful metadata ?

For me, it happens less than once a year...

So I always keep "Settings > Metadata > Import XMP subject or IPTC keyword to DB Categories" unchecked ... and my categories are never polluted

(But with this setting, I can't add keywords with "edit iptc/xmp" window, I must always use categories pane)
Ihaveaproblem

Post by Ihaveaproblem »

Thank you for pointing out, that the option I was wishing for indeed already exists! :D
Gwenael Q.

Post by Gwenael Q. »

Happy to see that the tip given by Michel038 can solve the isssue for some users but this can not be considered as a good solution for everyone at all !!

- Not only this solution has it own drawbacks : "with this setting, I can't add keywords with "edit iptc/xmp" window, I must always use categories pane"

But

- "How often do you import files containing useful metadata ? For me, it happens less than once a year"... :shock:
Michel038 is lucky, but for me it is more on a daily basis, everytime I work with photographs :(

Please don't forget that XnviewMP is and must remain the "Swiss knife" tool of image management, whatever other softs are used for other tasks. One way the differents softs can coexist and cooperate in a workflow is by sharing the metadata or xmp sidecars. So everytime a metadata/side car is modified outside xnviewmp I want XnviewMP database to be be able to stay in synch with it. That is to say very often !! For this reason I can not imagine "Settings > Metadata > Import XMP subject or IPTC keyword to DB Categories" being always unchecked...

Please consider seriously this request !

Thank you for listening
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I don't understand you can exclude folders that you dont want
Pierre.
Ihaveaproblem

Post by Ihaveaproblem »

How?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

settings>Catalog>Excluded
Pierre.
Gwenael Q.

Post by Gwenael Q. »

Hello,

Seems that this request can be closed as the feature already existed !

Thank you for listening