So I'm guessing I'm looking for a way to get XnViewMP to write IPTC-IIM tags
Ok, the easier way to enter keywords is to use "Categories" (use "Categories" panel, select at least one photo, rignt click to add new category etc)
"Categories" is a tool that :
- creates and updates internal database of XnViewmp (file : xnview.db).
- creates simultaneously embedded iptc keywords (settings, metadata, "export ..." and "create iptc ..." ) or xmp keywords (xmp-dc:subject)
You can use hierarchical IPTC keywords, but I think they are not commonly used
Xmp hierarchical keywords, normalized by Adobe are more up to date ( so you need to add "create xmp" in settings)
- enter many hierarchized keywords in many photos in one click
- It handles your keywords dictionnary (export, import ) and allows hierarchical keywords (look for "thesaurus" on the net)
- Offers multi-criteria searches with "categories filter" panel ( combine with Ctrl, or Alt keys )
- permits "easy" editing functions to change/add/remove keywords ( "easy" only when you have understood the exact way to do this)
In Settings, Catalog, you can ask XnViewMP to read already tagged files in whole folders and subfolders with "add folder" button
(in metadata settings, you must add "import ..." option )
you have to hit enter twice to get it to apply, which causes some confusion
- select a photo, check a category , and ... you must release the selection
to make XnViewMP update it's DB and write keywords, yes.
Also, it would be ideal if it would automatically sort them to ...
In "View" menu, select "Sort by ... , Show headers
You can switch between "View, View as ... Details" and "View, View as ... Thumbnails + labels" and click in headers to sort photos ...