High quality zoom for animated .GIF files

Bugs which have been reproduced by a second user or the developer, or features to do

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

woot000

High quality zoom for animated .GIF files

Post by woot000 »

I think animated .GIF files should have a high quality zoom option. Web browsers like Firefox can do high quality zooms on .GIFs just fine, why not XnView?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: High quality zoom for animated .GIF files

Post by xnview »

in Zoom out?
Pierre.
woot000

Post by woot000 »

For both zoom in and zoom out, there should be an option to enable animated GIFs (and animated WebP files, too) to have a high quality zoom.
woot000

Post by woot000 »

Any plans on adding this feature for the next version of XnView MP?
woot000

Post by woot000 »

I installed XnView Classic about a month ago to try it out and noticed that there is an option for high quality zoom on animated GIF files. Why isn't that option available in XnView MP? Was it removed from MP?
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

For real. Can we get high quality zoom for animated gifs already? They look like absolute trash in MP, no joke. You have the code from Classic there's literally no reason not to bring it to MP. It's been years. It's the one and only thing preventing my full adoption of MP. I've gotta use Classic for gifs!

And believe me I know because I was the user that originally fought for it for classic back in 2013.
helmut

Post by helmut »

From what I can see, animated GIFs do not look too bad if enlarged (zoom >= 100%) in XnView MP. But when viewing them small (zoom < 100%), they do not look good. XnView Classic offers a checkbox which applies for applying the high quality zoom settings to animated GIFs - this does make a difference. Such a setting is needed in XnView MP. I've just added this requirement to List of missing features (compared to XnView Classic)