XnView MP should be able to correct for folders emptied by other means

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

KLE-France

XnView MP should be able to correct for folders emptied by other means

Post by KLE-France »

Bonjour à tous / Hello to all.

This suggestion follows upon a post I made in the General Support forum: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=41810.

If I'm understanding correctly (with the help of jadO, who provided useful information in my other post), The XnView catalog can keep track of files when they are moved and correct itself, "moving" the catalog data with the files, if one does the moving in XnView.

However, if files are moved using some other method, for example, Windows Explorer, the XnView catalog cannot correct itself. That is, the catalog data from the original location remains in the database, even though there is no longer anything there. This causes "ghost" thumbnails when filtering images with the Categories (keyword) function (and maybe problems with other functions as well?).

I think it would be a great improvement if XnView were able to identify orphaned data in the database and automatically remove--or perhaps better propose removing--them. Du genre:

"The folder "this/that/over/there" no longer has any images in it. Would you like to remove the catalog information for it?"

or

"The image "bluebirds birding" is no longer in the folder "this/that/over/there". Would you like to remove the catalog information for it?"

Bref, the database should be able to correct itself to the current state of folders/images regardless of how the folders or images were changed.

Thanks for hearing me out, and happy shooting.