Suggest that XnView can save searches

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

seabirdr

Suggest that XnView can save searches

Post by seabirdr »

Snipaste_2021-05-28_11-02-11.png
When I open a saved search, XnView prompts: This is a non-existent folder, do you want to delete it?

I have some fixed searches that I want to save so that I don't have to repeat the text and set the same criteria when looking for the same image. Because an image has many attributes and it can only be put in one folder.

I have very good image naming habits and by searching for keywords, I can find the images I need. So I would really like XnView to save the search criteria. I believe many users who manage a lot of images will have the same needs as me.
jadO

Re: Suggest that XnView can save searches

Post by jadO »

Have you looked into the search that you can reach via the menu or STRG + F?

You should able to save searches there. But I agree it would nice to reach saved searches from the toolbar.
seabirdr

Post by seabirdr »

jadO wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:00 am Have you looked into the search that you can reach via the menu or STRG + F?

You should able to save searches there. But I agree it would nice to reach saved searches from the toolbar.
Thank you for your reply. It is true that I can save the search in the search window. But it is a secondary page and not very convenient to open. I expect to open the saved search directly in the first screen of XnView.
jadO

Post by jadO »

seabirdr wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:13 am But it is a secondary page and not very convenient to open.
To make it a little bit easier, you can put the search icon on the toolbar. But I agree it would be nice, if it was possible to execute the saved searches easier.
A solution could be, to make the search icon in the toolbar a dropdown field similar to the filter icon. The dropdown could display and execute the saved searches.
seabirdr

Post by seabirdr »

Very happy that you understand my thoughts. Performing a saved search directly is what I want. If not, the dropdown menu is acceptable.
orbspider

Post by orbspider »

What about integrating Search into the side panel?

I notice that after I make a search and get a results list, when I click the browse button the results are then put in the browser window, as a filter result, and the Search window is auto-closed.

So if I find something and most likely I need to 'open containing folder' of the file, the search results will all be lost.

My suggestions:
1. With the first search results list, I would like to select a file and click on a 'open containing folder' button to show its folder.
2. Put Search on the side panel, tidier I think. Then search results can stay open, without making clutter.
3. Add a preview of the file under the list - or link Search to Preview pane? Could be faster to locate a file than browsing the whole results list.
4. Add ability to Copy/Copy to folder, the selected file in the result list.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

next version will have a better search dialog
Pierre.