Sticky notes in any folder

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

orbspider

Sticky notes in any folder

Post by orbspider »

I sometimes get tangled up in so much work that I/m afraid sometimes I will leave something unfinished. That means I need to write notes to remind me of jobs to do, such as searching different categories to build a collection for a book, and I either just make a new Libre Writer documeent, which is OK, but its outside of the image search place - or I use a notepad and pen!

Could we have sticky notes to Xnview, that we can stick inside any folder, to remind about something, like searching for more images?
Or could we have a side pane specifically for note-making??

Probably a sticky note would get hidden anyway when there are a few 100 files... unless it was pinned to the first icon in the folder.

So we pin notes to folders and we can then switch a panel tab to see the list of pinned notes.

A good idea??
orbspider

Re: Suggest: sticky notes in any folder!

Post by orbspider »

Further thoughts..

the note can be saved to a regular file with special extension, like .xnote

On mouse hover on note icon the note pops up larger to read its content.

Somehow need to open it for edit - with background color, text font/color settings.

--------
I actually made a rough hack, creating a new image and using the Draw tool to set color and add text -see the lower right black icon below.
xhview-sticky-note.png
helmut

Re: Sticky notes in any folder

Post by helmut »

I think XnView has this, already:
Both XnView MP and XnView Classic support so-called descriptions (Field: <Annotation>). You can add a description to any file and even folders. The descriptions are stored in a file named "descript.ion". Descriptions can be displayed as thumbnail label for example.

This is what it looks like:
2022-05-01_183956.png
Below please find the steps to get this up and running.

Preparation: Adding description/annotation to thumbnail label
1. Start XnView in browser mode.
2. Select "Tools > Settings" or press F12 key to open XnView's settings.
3. Switch to "Browser | Thumbnail | Labels".
4. Add a custom label (e.g. Custom 3) by selecting the entry on the left and clicking on the ">" arrow.
5. Select the added entry "Custom 3" and either enter "{Annotation}" into "Custom label" or click on ">>" and select "Annotation".
6. Close settings with "OK"
7. In XnView browser make sure you see thumbnails and labels (menu "View > View As > Thumbnails + Labels")

Adding a description/annotation to a folder/file
1. In file list select a folder or a file.
2. Select "Edit > Edit comment..." menu or press Ctrl+D.
3. In field "Description" enter a message that you want to be displayed.
4. Select "Write" to write the description. XnView will create a file "descript.ion". Please note that this is a hidden file.

When browsing the parent folder you should see your description as thumbnail label.