FileArranger - reorder pictures in XnView (classic/MP)

Plug-ins, add-ons, skins, icons, templates and other downloads. Contributions are welcome.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

electro

FileArranger - reorder pictures in XnView (classic/MP)

Post by electro »

Ever wanted to arrange pictures in a certain order? If yes, you know that you had to use all kinds of renaming tricks. Not anymore. I made a small app called FileArranger to solve this issue in a fast and easy way. There are 4 main steps: 1. select the source files, 2. start the app, 3. select the target file, 4. start the app again and the source files will be automatically renamed to be right after the target file. When it's active, the app stays minimized and unfocused while the user is working in XnView. If the user forgets which files s/he selected, s/he could click the app and see the list again.

It works with both XnView and XnView MP in the Browser mode (thumbnails). Because you can view/select the thumbnails, using this app is very intuitive and fast. As far as I know, there isn't another app that works in the same way as mine. By the way, FileArranger works with any kind of file, not just pictures. There’s a file Formats.txt in the app’s folder where you can add other file extensions.

Download:
>> CLICK HERE <<

Appearance:

Video:
Here's a 23 seconds video with a short tutorial of how to use this app: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHL_01A6hoM
Notice how the file names are automatically changed after the user selects the target file.

How to setup XnView/XnView MP before using FileArranger:
1. Open XnView, go to Tools -> Options -> Browser section and make sure that "Auto refresh" and "Automatically select new files" checkboxes are checked and confirm;
2. Go to Tools -> Options -> Open With... -> Add program and select the path to the FileArranger's executable file;
3. After that, XnView will associate a shortcut key to start FileArranger (e.g. Alt 1).

How to use FileArranger with XnView/XnView MP:
1. Open XnView and select the browser mode (thumbnails);
2. Select the source files (the files to be renamed);
3. Start FileArranger by using the shortcut key (e.g. Alt 1);
4. Select the target files (the file after which the source files will be inserted);
5. Start again FileArranger by using the shortcut key (e.g. Alt 1);
6. The source files will be automatically renamed to be right after the target file and then FileArranger is closed automatically;
7. Repeat the process until all files are in the correct order;
8. After that, you can use XnView's batch renaming to rename all files from that folder with nice names. The file order after you used my app will be preserved.

How to use a different shortcut key to start FileArranger in XnView:
1. Download and install AutoHotkey;
2. Start FileArranger.ahk from the app's folder;
3. If you want FileArranger.ahk to start automatically when Windows starts, add a shortcut of this file to the Startup folder at C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Replace [Username] with your Windows username.
4. The default shortcut is F1 that will send Alt 1. You can modify these parameters if you edit FileArranger.ahk in a text editor like Notepad.

Shortcuts:
[Esc] - close app

Edit: I updated the whole post.
Last edited by electro on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 19 times in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: I created a little app for arranging pictures in XnView's Browser mode: FileArranger

Post by xnview »

electro wrote: I think FileArranger could be useful to many XnView users. No more manually renaming files to be in a certain order. Is it allowed to post a download link here?
yes sure
Pierre.
electro

Re: I created a little app for arranging pictures in XnView's Browser mode: FileArranger

Post by electro »

xnview wrote:
electro wrote: I think FileArranger could be useful to many XnView users. No more manually renaming files to be in a certain order. Is it allowed to post a download link here?
yes sure
Thanks. I'm preparing a detailed How To guide first.