Blender inspired theme for XnViewMP including icons

Plug-ins, add-ons, skins, icons, templates and other downloads. Contributions are welcome.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

miki

Blender inspired theme for XnViewMP including icons

Postby miki » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:12 pm

First of all, great thanks to the authors of this amazing photo manager! I was very excited to find this Qt based program, which just proves that the Qt framework is a perfect choice for multi-platform user programs. Indeed, XnViewMP starts and responds really fast without any lagging, and the possibilities of UI customization using the QSS style sheets are just brilliant! I really enjoyed making this QSS style to my liking. Of course, sometimes it's a bit of puzzle to get what you want, but that's part of the fun :)

The idea behind this theme
I'm a big fan of Blender (open-source 3D package), which I think has one of the best and most flexible/modifiable user interfaces. So, I've got inspired by the default grey theme from Blender, which I like so much. This theme is neither too dark, nor too light, which I believe is the best choice in general. I think, when a theme is too light/colorful, it glows to the eyes and distracts user from the actual content. When a theme is too dark, I find it worse readable and I tend to adjust my creations too dark as well. Thus, I have tried to create a low contrast, mid-grey theme that wouldn't distract users from the actual content.

screen-browser.png
Browser

screen-viewer.png
Viewer

screen-settings.png
Settings dialog

screen-convert.png
Batch convert dialog

Custom Icons
I have created my custom set of icons as well. Originally, I started making them in Inkscape for my own photo editor which I never finished, because it was too much work :) Later, I finished the icons in Affinity Designer, which I find much more user friendly than Inkscape. The icons are monochrome and I tried to make them simple and easy to recognize.

_icons-toolbars_catalog.png
Custom icons

Install the theme
1. Download and unpack the archive: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujkho7p4udnbe ... P.zip?dl=0
2. Replace the UI folder in the XnViewMP install folder.
3. Replace the user settings files (on Windows 10 it's the folder C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\XnViewMP).

Known problems
I'm already very happy about the look of the theme, but there are still few things I'm not able to modify/replace, especially icons like...

Code: Select all

cmd_levels
cmd_showHisto
cmd_import
cmd_viewAs
cmd_category
cmd_ratingAndLabel

Also all the icons in dialogs (like batch convert, etc) cannot be replaced.

Another issue is the light border base line produced by QTabBar, which is visible besides the vertical tabs. I've tried to disable the drawBase feature in the style sheet by

Code: Select all

QTabBar{
    qproperty-drawBase: 0;
}

but it doesn't work for the vertical tabs. The qproperty-drawBase seems to work only for the file tabs. But these are only minor issues.
Last edited by miki on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miki Proxima (meshlogic)

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Blender inspired theme for XnViewMP including icons

Postby XnTriq » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 pm

THANK YOU very much for sharing, miki! Welcome to the forum :-D

miki

Postby miki » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:29 pm

Thank you XnTriq :-)
Miki Proxima (meshlogic)

FileNotFound

Postby FileNotFound » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:52 am

I've been occasionally working on a blender icon theme that follows the Tango Style Guideline. Not that Blender actually follows any interface guidelines on any of the platforms it runs, I just felt the default icons are somewhat 1990. I don't have complete coverage yet, but the most exposed icons are themed.
Where these don't work so well is the button context header. The lower opacity makes them a bit unclear. I'd prefer the current button context was highlighted differently than making the other contexts semi-opaque.
https://ponbee.com

miki

Postby miki » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:33 am

FileNotFound: Actually, I think the few icons that exist in Blender are quite good and easy to recognize. Besides most of the buttons is textual and don't use any icon.

I just had problem with the original icons in XnView, which I can't recognize what they are supposed to mean, and they look ugly on dark backgrounds. So, I've created my own monochrome icons, which I find the best recognizable and it's very easy to change their color globally.
Miki Proxima (meshlogic)

Return to “Customization”