(Unofficial) XnView file association manager

Plug-ins, add-ons, skins, icons, templates and other downloads. Contributions are welcome.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Hello ckv,

how are things up North? Good to know that you are still around.

Just the day before the final release I had stopped by your homepage to see what's cooking. That's when I found out about the B5. :o
You should make new posts for betas instead of (or in addition to) editing your initial post, so everyone who's watching this topic gets notified in time.
XnTriq wrote:I already did some test runs and checked the changes made with Resplendence Registrar: works flawlessly so far.
For testing the betas of v1.1 and v1.2 I used Regshot.
ckv wrote:Updated the old iconset. (All labels are redone)
Nice job on the anti-aliasing!
It reminds me of those enhanced bitmap fonts by ThePixelPlant or farba@deviantART, and the smoothing effect you can apply with defontPIXEL.

I see you've also updated the screenshot(s): Old vs. new. Moi likes the retro-style ASCII art header!
ckv wrote:
XnTriq wrote:[snip] Next, you should make an HTML version. For small applications I usually prefer plain text over bloated online help files. But I've seen your documentation for the ckv Self-Extractor Kit, and it looks very professional.
Hmm maybe. The thing is that xfam was meant be really simple program what anyone could use without any instruction, But at the time I made it I notice that this and this needs an explanation. :|
I'm glad you changed your mind and made a readme.html. That's the kind of online help I had in mind.
(We don' need no steenkin' WYSIWYG editor, right?)

Suggestions:
  1. I can has XnFAM automatically read XnView's path from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\ and populate the related field (Path to XnView executable) accordingly?
  2. We still see that infamous -slide bug reappear from time to time.
    Do you think you could add an extra option to XnFAM that checks the HKLM\Applications\xnview.exe\shell\open\command key and fixes it if needed?
Oh, and happy Juhannus Day to you & yours! :)
ckv

Post by ckv »

XnTriq wrote:Hello ckv,

how are things up North? Good to know that you are still around.
Just great. Thanks. :)
XnTriq wrote:For testing the betas of v1.1 and v1.2 I used Regshot.
I've been using Regshot too, but I have used older version from sourceforge. I didn't know about this version. :)

XnTriq wrote:Nice job on the anti-aliasing!
It reminds me of those enhanced bitmap fonts by ThePixelPlant or farba@deviantART, and the smoothing effect you can apply with defontPIXEL.

I see you've also updated the screenshot(s): Old vs. new. Moi likes the retro-style ASCII art header!
Thanks. Believe it or not, but I made the 48x48 and 32x32 label texts with MS notepad and with MS paint. :D

And the ASCII style header was easter egg in v1.1 and it was real ASCII not a bitmap like in v1.2.

XnTriq wrote:
ckv & XnTriq wrote:[readme stuff snip]
I'm glad you changed your mind and made a readme.html. That's the kind of online help I had in mind.
(We don' need no steenkin' WYSIWYG editor, right?)
Right. Though the readme is still unfinished... I just hate writing those darn things.

XnTriq wrote:Suggestions:
  1. I can has XnFAM automatically read XnView's path from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\ and populate the related field (Path to XnView executable) accordingly?
  2. We still see that infamous -slide bug reappear from time to time.
    Do you think you could add an extra option to XnFAM that checks the HKLM\Applications\xnview.exe\shell\open\command key and fixes it if needed?
You already know, but xfam v1.2 rev is available with those changes.
Last edited by ckv on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Excellent work, ckv!
Huge thanks too :)
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

This utility doesn't work under Windows Vista 64 SP1 but then again neither do the associations in XnView 1.95.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
ckv

Post by ckv »

Thanks ckit. Will it work if you run it as administartor?

If it still doesn't work, it might that so called application capabilities registry key is required before it works on vista.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Yes running as Administrator works but what I don't get is that I'm already logged into Windows as an Admin why the extra step of clicking "Run As Administrator"?

Microsoft trying to make things harder?
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
ckv

Post by ckv »

It's because xfam requests user execution level.

I made updated version that will requests admin execution level.

Edit: Actually xfam requested asInvoker execution level (which means that it should inherit execution level from the process that started it), but it still doesn't get administrator rights. So I guess explorer always runs with lower execution level. :D Vista is fun!
Last edited by ckv on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Thanks again, ckv!
ckv

Post by ckv »

Unofficial XnView file association manager v1.2.1

Changelog:
  • XnView exe path is now read from registry. Thanks to XnTriq.
  • xfam now fixes the XnView Applications registry key if necessary. (Related to infamous -slide bug.) Thanks to XnTriq.
  • Fixed Vista execution level problem. (Vista will request admin privileges again.) Thanks to ckit.
  • Changed default list behavior when creating associations.
  • Other minor changes and improvements.
orbtwin

Re: (Unofficial) XnView file association manager

Post by orbtwin »

Hello,

I like very much this tricky software ... and i would like to know how to create "new icl files" for the most common types of image files.
My goal is to associate the most common image files with a "tango" icon

Thanks
ckv

Post by ckv »

orbtwin wrote:Hello,

I like very much this tricky software ... and i would like to know how to create "new icl files" for the most common types of image files.
My goal is to associate the most common image files with a "tango" icon

Thanks
Icon editors usually come with a tool to create amd edit icl files. XnTriq has listed some good free icon editors here.

I have used IcoFX and Greenfish Icon Editor Pro, both can create and edit icl files.

NOTE: To create an icl file that is compatible with XFAM you need to put the icons in the icl file the same order as they are in XnView.exe. You can use the icl files that come with XFAM as sample.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
mimorqleko

Post by mimorqleko »

Does this app solve the Windows 8 file association problem in XnView??
(if you have no idea what I'm talking about, please have a look at this: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27413)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

mimorqleko wrote:Does this app solves the windows 8 file association problem in xnview??
(if you have no idea what I'm talking about, please have a look at this: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27413)
next release of xnview will fix that
Pierre.
mimorqleko

Post by mimorqleko »

xnview wrote:
mimorqleko wrote:Does this app solves the windows 8 file association problem in xnview??
next release of xnview will fix that
That's great news!! :D