(Unofficial) XnView file association manager

Plug-ins, add-ons, skins, icons, templates and other downloads. Contributions are welcome.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ckv

(Unofficial) XnView file association manager

Post by ckv »

XnView file association manager version 1.2.1

XnView file association manager (or xfam) is a small alternative for XnView's build in association manager. You can create, delete and restore XnView file associations. Additionally custom file type icons can used with the associations and you can create new menu items in the right-click context menu of the associated file types.

Xfam isn't meant to be a full replacement for XnView's own association manager since it only covers the most used file types supported by XnView.

Features:
  • Create, delete and restore XnView file associations
  • Use custom file type icons for the file associations [img]
  • Create new items in the file right-click context menu [img]
Screenshot , Iconsets
» More screenshots
Last edited by ckv on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 22 times in total.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Sha-weet! Now we know what you've been up to over the last couple of weeks: Hacking code. Good to see you back in town, ckv :D

Actually, I've been using your alternative file type icons since you made them public back in October. But from now on changing things around will be much more comfortable. Thanks!

I already did some test runs and checked the changes made with Resplendence Registrar: works flawlessly so far.

BTW: What's the English träänslåtiön for “vasso”?
ckv

Post by ckv »

XnTriq wrote:Sha-weet! Now we know what you've been up to over the last couple of weeks: Hacking code. Good to see you back in town, ckv :D
Thanks I'm glad you like it. And thanks for welcomes. Real life takes it's time every now and then, but I were still lurking around time to time.
XnTriq wrote:Actually, I've been using your alternative file type icons since you made them public back in October. But from now on changing things around will be much more comfortable. Thanks!
You're welcome. I have half-finished improved version of that iconset with XP and 48x48 icons and I will add it to this app soon as it's ready. It would be nice to get other iconsets too...
XnTriq wrote:I already did some test runs and checked the changes made with Resplendence Registrar: works flawlessly so far.
Nice. :D Tests like that are really valuable, I don't want to trash anyone's registry. That is the main reason that I made the tool with NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System). This app is easily the most complex thing what I have ever made with NSIS and when I think it again I would probably have made the app with less time and effort if I would have used C++. :D
XnTriq wrote:BTW: What's the English träänslåtiön for “vasso”?
Beat's me. I only made the app. :mrgreen:
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
ckv

Post by ckv »

ckv wrote:I have half-finished improved version of that iconset with XP and 48x48 icons and I will add it to this app soon as it's ready.
And here it is:
Screenshot
Last edited by ckv on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helmut

Post by helmut »

ckv wrote:
ckv wrote:I have half-finished improved version of that iconset with XP and 48x48 icons and I will add it to this app soon as it's ready.
And here it is:
Screenshot
iconset.zip
To be honest I haven't had a closer look at the association manager, yet. But I like the idea and your effort is much appreciated. And the iconset is nice, too. :-) Thank you, ckv!
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Almost 2 weeks have gone by but no feedback except for the comments from Helmut and myself? Now, that's strange... :|
ckv wrote:
XnTriq wrote:BTW: What's the English träänslåtiön for “vasso”?
Beat's me. I only made the app. :mrgreen:
Ooh, the irony... :P ;)
ckv wrote:And here it is:
Screenshot
iconset.zip
I love the OS-X style page curl effect. Also, I've noticed that you went the extra route and edited all variations of every icon by hand. Many designers don't bother and just let the software (Microangelo, IconWorkshop, AWicons etc.) automatically do the down-scaling.

Would you mind telling me which program you prefer? Have you heard about RealWorld Icon Editor?
ckv wrote:It would be nice to get other iconsets too...
There's this argentinian guy on deviantART (Cristhian Federico Serur alias burnsflipper) who made a bunch of icons for XnView (BMP, GIF, IFF, JPG, PCX, PIC, PNG, PSD, TGA, TIF). Maybe he's interested in having his set distributed with XnVasso.
You will find his e-mail address on the contact page of his online portfolio.
ckv wrote:Also if you know any file types what should have support in this tool or if you think that all the file types listed in XnView should should have support, let me know.
I'd like to see a feature that allows users to associate .ICO files with XnView without changing their settings for DefaultIcon (@="%1").

Misc stuff:
  • Is the latest version of XnVasso (May 7th) a final release (custompages.nsh: “File association manager v1.0”)?
  • When I was looking at the source code with WinDiff I noticed that you've added a variable or parameter called GROUPFIX which probably correlates to the new Grouping.txt file. Could you elaborate on how this alters the behavior of XnVasso?
  • The icon library has been split up into 2 seperate ICLs for XP and 9X/2K. That's because older versions of Windows don't support alpha blended icons, right?
  • Color depth of xnvdark.ico has been reduced to an 8bit palette. There seems to be some issue with the transparency.
ckv

Post by ckv »

XnTriq wrote:Almost 2 weeks have gone by but no feedback except for the comments from Helmut and myself? Now, that's strange... :|
They are all reinstalling their systems after major system meltdown. :twisted: Not really. I didn't expect many people to test. :|
XnTriq wrote:I love the OS-X style page curl effect.
See any similarities http://www.aiesec.po.opole.pl/shared/ico/swf.gif That's the icon I ripped. :|
XnTriq wrote:Would you mind telling me which program you prefer? Have you heard about RealWorld Icon Editor?
I use rather old Microangelo what still works what still works despite of expired trial. And I haven't heard of RealWorld Icon Editor before, but the icons made with it looks awesome.
XnTriq wrote:There's this argentinian guy on deviantART (Cristhian Federico Serur alias burnsflipper) who made a bunch of icons for XnView (BMP, GIF, IFF, JPG, PCX, PIC, PNG, PSD, TGA, TIF). Maybe he's interested in having his set distributed with XnVasso.
You will find his e-mail address on the contact page of his online portfolio.
Thanks for pointing these out :)
XnTriq wrote:I'd like to see a feature that allows users to associate .ICO files with XnView without changing their settings for DefaultIcon (@="%1").
Really good idea goes with icl, ani and cur files too... But implementing this is not possible without breaking either other associations or the compatibility with XnView associations. Because all those file types points in the XnView.Image registry key what means that all the other filetypes pointing to the same key gets the %1 icon as well. But adding these file types in uncompatible mode shouldn't be a problem.
XnTriq wrote:Misc stuff:
  • Is the latest version of XnVasso (May 7th) a final release (custompages.nsh: “File association manager v1.0”)?
  • When I was looking at the source code with WinDiff I noticed that you've added a variable or parameter called GROUPFIX which probably correlates to the new Grouping.txt file. Could you elaborate on how this alters the behavior of XnVasso?
  • The icon library has been split up into 2 seperate ICLs for XP and 9X/2K. That's because older versions of Windows don't support alpha blended icons, right?
  • Color depth of xnvdark.ico has been reduced to an 8bit palette. There seems to be some issue with the transparency.
Nope it's semifinal. It was the final version, but after that I removed some dead code, added new stuff and tweaks here and there... :) I will release the final version in this wee... in this lifetime.

GROUPFIX is a workaround for the XnView compatibility problems without it I would have had to rewrite a lot of code. And Grouping.txt is help file what presents the difference between of the uncompatible and XnView compatible mode in the registry level. So basically the file just shows in which "groups" (registry keys) the different filetypes points to. All the filetypes listed in the same group haves the same command line, icon, name, context menu items... This comes useful when creating new context menu items because when you greate a context menu item, example for jpg file, all the filetypes in the same group will get the context menu item as well. Hopefully helps. :)

Well yeah. The XP version should work in 2k and 9x too, but it might look bad.

No that's intentional. I tried to make it look less like XnView icon.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Too bad I missed the release party for XnFAM v1.0 Image I was busy attending another premiere: my very first spyware/rootkit infection. :bugconfirmed::x:bug:
Can you say “major system meltdown”?

Now that I'm back on track I'm stopping by to tell you that you did a great job explaining the rationale behind the concept of compatible and incompatible mode in the revised readme.txt and grouping.txt.
Next, you should make an HTML version. For small applications I usually prefer plain text over bloated online help files. But I've seen your documentation for the ckv Self-Extractor Kit, and it looks very professional.

Why did you drop “XnVasso”? There's nothing wrong with the new name, of course. I just hope you didn't change your mind because of those oh-so-funny comments I made :?
ckv wrote:
XnTriq wrote:I love the OS-X style page curl effect.
See any similarities http://www.aiesec.po.opole.pl/shared/ico/swf.gif That's the icon I ripped. :|
Jobs & Co. may have won this lawsuit, but they don't hold the copyright to page curls, dog-ears & bent corners.
Oh, wait — maybe they do...
Aqua Icon Kit 1.1 wrote:This artwork may be used as a basis for designing document icons for Mac OS X applications. Additional layers may be created to customize the icon, but the original “Document” and “Page Curl” images must not be modified.

Document Icon Template 1.1 © 2002 Apple Computer, Inc.
I see you're using an EXE compressor now. I'm curious about the ratio you were able to achieve with UPX. Could you give me an estimate how big an uncompressed xnview.exe (ASPack) would be?
ckv

Post by ckv »

XnTriq wrote:Too bad I missed the release party for XnFAM v1.0 Image I was busy attending another premiere: my very first spyware/rootkit infection. :bugconfirmed::x:bug:
Can you say “major system meltdown”?
And quite a party you missed. My memory is still a little fuzzy about the all the details, but it can't be a good party if you can remember every detail. :wink: And about the rootkit. I bought DRM solution from Sony :twisted: ... :mrgreen:
XnTriq wrote:Now that I'm back on track I'm stopping by to tell you that you did a great job explaining the rationale behind the concept of compatible and incompatible mode in the revised readme.txt and grouping.txt.
Next, you should make an HTML version. For small applications I usually prefer plain text over bloated online help files. But I've seen your documentation for the ckv Self-Extractor Kit, and it looks very professional.
Hmm maybe. The thing is that xfam was meant be really simple program what anyone could use without any instruction, But at the time I made it I notice that this and this needs an explanation. :|
XnTriq wrote:Why did you drop “XnVasso”? There's nothing wrong with the new name, of course. I just hope you didn't change your mind because of those oh-so-funny comments I made :?
No don't worry. "XnVasso" was kind of working title anyway... Just like the whole "XnView file...", but I din't find anything better for that. :)
XnTriq wrote:Jobs & Co. may have won this lawsuit, but they don't hold the copyright to page curls, dog-ears & bent corners.
Oh, wait — maybe they do...
Aqua Icon Kit 1.1 wrote:This artwork may be used as a basis for designing document icons for Mac OS X applications. Additional layers may be created to customize the icon, but the original “Document” and “Page Curl” images must not be modified.

Document Icon Template 1.1 © 2002 Apple Computer, Inc.
So the document layout really is from Macs? But hey that's great. Doesn't that mean that you can use the ducument layout as long as you don't alter it? Sure they mean Mac OS X applications, but Flash pro 8 sure isn't Mac OS X application either. :mrgreen:
XnTriq wrote:I see you're using an EXE compressor now. I'm curious about the ratio you were able to achieve with UPX. Could you give me an estimate how big an uncompressed xnview.exe (ASPack) would be?
I only packed the NSIS header which normal size is something like 35 KB and packing it makes it ~10KB smaller. Not much, but what the heck. The rest of the data (NSIS plug-ins, graphic, custom pages...) is also packed with zlib. xfam.exe without upx and NSIS compress is 205KB. :|
And the uncompressed XnView.exe size is about 3.04MB. :o But I can't fully uncompress ASPack files so Pierre can tell the precise size. :wink: UPX repacked XnView.exe is 1.11MB without compressing the icons at all, but it doesn't work since there is still stuff from the ASPack in the exe.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

ckv wrote:
XnTriq wrote:I'd like to see a feature that allows users to associate .ICO files with XnView without changing their settings for DefaultIcon (@="%1").
Really good idea goes with icl, ani and cur files too... But implementing this is not possible without breaking either other associations or the compatibility with XnView associations. Because all those file types points in the XnView.Image registry key what means that all the other filetypes pointing to the same key gets the %1 icon as well. But adding these file types in uncompatible mode shouldn't be a problem.
  • :D
ckv

Post by ckv »

Version 1.1 with many great improvements, will be soon ready to release. So now (while I'm still into it) would be excellent time for suggestion, ideas, random rants and trolls. :)

ps. By soon I mean in year 2008 and by great improvements I mean... I've thrown something together.
ckv

Post by ckv »

Unofficial XnView file association manager v1.1

Changelog:
  • Updated for XnView v1.9, added new file types to the list
  • New options page... With one option ;)
  • Improved association existing detection on many cases
  • Improved association deletion. Now the "group key" is only deleted when necessary.
  • Other minor change and improvements
    New easter eggs
ckv

Post by ckv »

I updated the download files... I removed some debug messages in the association delete process that forgot in the release version. :D
ikutluay

Post by ikutluay »

good job
ckv

Post by ckv »

Unofficial XnView file association manager v1.2

Changelog:
  • Fixed rare bug that could cause xfam skip selected file types when creating context menu items.
  • Fixed bug in Association Cleaner tool that could cause endless loop.
  • Now the "group key" is only deleted when necessary. This time it actually works. :)
  • Improved error reporting and handling on many cases.
  • Windows vista will no longer request admin privileges.
  • New great iconset by Cristhian Serur a.k.a. burnsflipper. (Thanks to XnTriq. :wink: It's only been two years)
  • Updated the old iconset. (All labels are redone)
  • User interface changes and fixed UI in 120 dbi mode.
  • Other minor changes and improvements.
Note: Vista execution level change actually might prevent xfam from working in vista. If it doesn't work let me know and I'll change the old execution level back.