All versions: XnView MP will not display video thumbnails

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Trakatan

All versions: XnView MP will not display video thumbnails

Post by Trakatan »

XnView: MP 0.91 Beta 3 64 bit (I tried the stable version as well)
Effect: Video thumbnails are not displayed
I read that the app is supposed to show thumbnails for video files, but for me it's not doing that. All I see is VLC's traffic cone icon. This happens with all video formats.
To reproduce: Well, I'm not sure since I haven't found other threads about this issue and the feature seems to be working for most people. Perhaps try xnview mp with VLC installed as your video player on the latest version of windows 10?
Expected behaviour: Thumbnails should be generated and displayed
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: All versions: XnView MP will not display video thumbnails

Post by xnview »

For all formats? XnView MP is based on ffmpeg
Pierre.
Trakatan

Post by Trakatan »

Yes, all and any formats. I don't get thumbnails for any videos. Are you mentioning that it's based on ffmpeg because of ffmpeg's thumbnailer? Do you suspect it's not being used?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

in the xnview.ini, do you have useInternalVideoPlayer=true?
Pierre.
Trakatan

Post by Trakatan »

Yes. And if I open them from xnview mp, they open with its video player. But the thumbnails are still just vlc icons.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

and in settings>file list>Custom filter>Video, is it checked?
Pierre.
Trakatan

Post by Trakatan »

Welp, that solved the problem. Apparently the box wasn't ticked by default though? I'm sure I had never seen the "Custom filters" screen before, so I didn't do that. :|
jdarnielle

Post by jdarnielle »

Hi there,

Having the same issue with being unable to see video thumbnails on v7.30 on the Mac.
settings>file list>Custom filter>Video = all options are checked

in the xnview.ini, useInternalVideoPlayer=true
Still see no video thumbnail at all. Can you pls help? Thanks!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jdarnielle wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:13 am Still see no video thumbnail at all. Can you pls help? Thanks!
On Mac there is currently no video thumbnails support
Pierre.
jdarnielle

Post by jdarnielle »

Got it, thanks Pierre. Got a question and a suggestion:

— Is there an issue open for this that I can subscribe to?

— Have you considered a system for funding specific features (such as this one) vs just "open donations"? I've donated in the past and plan on donating many more times (I'd even gladly pay a subscription, as I do for many other tools I use regularly)... But I always thought some kind of "bounty" system could also be an interesting way of supporting sw projects. This way users can put their wallets where their mouths are, meaning the features they are asking for would probably have a higher likelihood of being useful, hopefully for others as well. This would be like a tiny-Kickstarter for specific features, which could potentially be quite satisfying for everyone involved (quality sw is obviously time-consuming and expensive, etc). Just a wild idea, I understand this is a bit out there but I guess it doesn't hard to evaluate new perspectives :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jdarnielle wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:01 am — Is there an issue open for this that I can subscribe to?
Currently i have a version that works, but i have a problem to correctly sign the bundle
— Have you considered a system for funding specific features (such as this one) vs just "open donations"? I've donated in the past and plan on donating many more times (I'd even gladly pay a subscription, as I do for many other tools I use regularly)... But I always thought some kind of "bounty" system could also be an interesting way of supporting sw projects. This way users can put their wallets where their mouths are, meaning the features they are asking for would probably have a higher likelihood of being useful, hopefully for others as well. This would be like a tiny-Kickstarter for specific features, which could potentially be quite satisfying for everyone involved (quality sw is obviously time-consuming and expensive, etc). Just a wild idea, I understand this is a bit out there but I guess it doesn't hard to evaluate new perspectives :)
No, but you can contact me if you want a specific feature...
Pierre.