XnView XP 0.39 corrupts pictures

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Eyael

XnView XP 0.39 corrupts pictures

Post by Eyael »

I need to draw your attention to the fact that sometimes Xnview may corrupt pictures or rename them to something different and change the extension. I don't know exactly what causes that but when the program hangs and gets frozen while renaming a large batch of pictures or moving them to a new location or when the program crashes and closes. I found out sometimes my pictures were renamed tmp-xnview-number without an extension. And if you don't notice straight away, you're in trouble because all the categorization, notes, metadata, etc is lost. This is a real issue I wish I had noticed sooner now that I've done weeks of work categorizing I cannot even turn back to normal Xnview (uncompatible databases).

Another thing : moving a picture or a batch of pictures to a folder that doesn't exist yet creates a files which sizes matches the sizes of all the pictures but it is useless and all your pictures are definitively lost (I back up a lot fortunately). You need to create the folder first unlike in Xnview for Windows.

Pierre, I hope you can reproduce this. It would be great to have a tool to convert databases to go back to Xnview for Windows or for those who want to migrate to MP.
Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnView XP 0.39 corrupts pictures

Post by xnview »

Eyael wrote:I need to draw your attention to the fact that sometimes Xnview may corrupt pictures or rename them to something different and change the extension. I don't know exactly what causes that but when the program hangs and gets frozen while renaming a large batch of pictures or moving them to a new location or when the program crashes and closes. I found out sometimes my pictures were renamed tmp-xnview-number without an extension. And if you don't notice straight away, you're in trouble because all the categorization, notes, metadata, etc is lost. This is a real issue I wish I had noticed sooner now that I've done weeks of work categorizing I cannot even turn back to normal Xnview (uncompatible databases).
Yes, for the remane process, i must rename them first to a temporary name. Are able to reproduce the crash?
Another thing : moving a picture or a batch of pictures to a folder that doesn't exist yet creates a files which sizes matches the sizes of all the pictures but it is useless and all your pictures are definitively lost (I back up a lot fortunately). You need to create the folder first unlike in Xnview for Windows.
In rename dialog??
Pierre.
Eyael

Re: XnView XP 0.39 corrupts pictures

Post by Eyael »

In rename dialog??
No, using the Move to function. Let's take an example to be clearer. Let's say I have a batch of 10 pictures in a folder named "Dogs" and I want to move them to a folder named "Black dogs" which doesn't exist yet. With XnView for Windows it's okay if you type the path of the folder you wish to create. It will create it automatically and move the pix in it. With MP, it will create a file named Black dogs without an extension that will have the same size as the Dogs folder but doesn't work like a folder and all the pix are gone. If I want to move the contents of the Dogs folder to the Black Dogs folder that doesn't exist, I need to create it first then used the Move to function and then it works. Once you know it, it's okay but it's quite dangerous. :?
Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit