Rotation and EXIF Orientation field

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

B.Douille

Rotation and EXIF Orientation field

Post by B.Douille »

Can you check this for next version? There is something wrong with the EXIF Orientation field.
- Opening a JPEG image in View mode, make a Rotation left or right and close/save the image change the picture orientation :) but leaves the original value unchanged in the EXIF Orientation field :( . I tried Refresh, clear the database, close and reopen the application with no success.
- From the browser, a rotation of one or more a JPEG image works fine and the orientation fields are updated correctly and according to the option "Change the EXIF Orientation only".

Note: To reproduce it's best to disable the option "Rotation based on EXIF orientation".

Thank you
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Rotation and EXIF Orientation field

Post by xnview »

could you send me a example file?
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I attached a sample but this seems to be general, whatever the camera, size, multiple rotations done,...
Remind to reproduce it's best to disable the option "Rotation based on EXIF orientation"

What I noticed also is the Property tab always shows "Top-left" whereas the EXIF and ExifTool tabs shows the actual value (unchanged after the rotation). I tried also to run the ExifTool apart from XnView and the result is the same.

Thank you
Attachments
Current orientation is "up-right (6)" / "Rotate 90 CW in ExifTool"
Current orientation is "up-right (6)" / "Rotate 90 CW in ExifTool"
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Hello Pierre,

I just come back from another trip and I realised that this tissue still exist. I had to use the (old-standard) version of XnView :(

This time I double-checked with external EXIFtool and with old Xnview. After rotation in view mode,and save, the EXIF data stills "Orientation: Rotate 90 CW" whereas the picture was effectively rotated. In browser mode the rotation butons works fine, the EXIF data is updated correctly.

Note: on top of this there a cache issue somewhere: Not only the browser view do not always refresh automatically but even in View mode the picture is shows as per original. Navigating 2-3 pictures forward an backward refreshes this cache.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote: This time I double-checked with external EXIFtool and with old Xnview. After rotation in view mode,and save, the EXIF data stills "Orientation: Rotate 90 CW" whereas the picture was effectively rotated. In browser mode the rotation butons works fine, the EXIF data is updated correctly.
i'm not able to reproduce with XnView, i don't see any difference with XnViewMP :(
Pierre.
Karl02

Post by Karl02 »

The image that has been attached above has no EXIF orientation tag (and no EXIF info at all), but I can confirm this bug with the F6 EXIF orientation test image from the test set that I've attached in my following post: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 33#p103253

Tested with XnViewMP 0.75 beta (2015-05-19) win32 and XnViewMP version 0.72 (2014-12-19) win32 on Windows 7 64 bit.
-- Karl
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Karl02 wrote:The image that has been attached above has no EXIF orientation tag (and no EXIF info at all), […]
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

I can reproduce this bug in XnViewMP, 0.75 x32 beta (Jun 11 2015) - plus there are other differences.
I used my own image, an original written from my Canon 350, but also replicated it with the image above. The Canon images are more sensitive to rotation as they are always 2x1 Chroma subsampled, which changes to 1x2 subsampling on lossless rotation.
  • In Browser mode the rotate button does what looks like a lossless jpeg rotation, creating a file about the same size as the original. This happens either after a forced ctrl-S save or an automatic save when I leave the folder. This resets the Exif orientation flag to 1 (=horizontal).
  • In View mode the rotate button followed by a save or a saveas causes the jpeg to be written with my default jpeg write settings. This retains the original Exif orientation flag.
  • In View mode then lossless rotate followed by a save (ctrl-S) causes the jpeg to be rewritten with my default jpeg write settings. This resets the Exif orientation flag to 1 (=horizontal).
  • In View mode then lossless rotate followed by an autosave (just close the view) causes the jpeg to be saved losslessly. This resets the Exif orientation flag to 1 (=horizontal).
Is seems to me that only the act of performing a lossless rotate resets the Exif orientation flag. I think any process of rotation should reset the flag, and this should happen irrespective of the "ignore exif orientation" option. For example, I always have the orientation flag enabled, but occasionally I photograph documents looking vertically down and the orientation set by the camera is fairly random in relation to the document. Once I tell XnView what the image orientation is, I expect the orientation flag to show this.

The fact that the rotate buttons seem to behave differently in browser and view modes is worrying. My settings->Interface->Toolbar says the buttons are defined as "cmd_rotate270" and "cmd_rotate90" for both browse and view modes.

The fact that a lossless rotate followed immediately by a ctrl-S save changes the jpeg compression is perhaps another bug.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

After having been fixed it seems the issue is back. Can you check and fix it again?

I don't take that much pictures in portrait so I had a doubt. Today I received some from a friend so I put some attention at the EXIF Orientation field and found it was left unchanged.
How to reproduce: In view mode, use the rotate buttons and save, the EXIF data is unchanged whereas the picture was effectively rotated.
In browser mode the rotation buttons works fine, the EXIF data is updated correctly.

Best regards
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Confirmed: The bug is still there in version 0.87.

In View mode, using the 2 buttons Rotate Left/Right rotates the picture but do not reset the EXIF orientation flag to "Upper Left (1)"
The same buttons in browser mode acts properly.

(sometime a refresh -F5 is needed to show the results)
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Seems fixed in 0.88 :)
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

B.Douille wrote:Seems fixed in 0.88 :)
Actually not :( I found some of my last pictures not appropriately displayed due to this persistent bug.

I made another test with 2 pictures and both showed the same. I found also the thumbnail is not updated. 1 sample shown below in the browser and the 2 sample files are attached.
Rotation - not updating EXIF and Thumbnail.JPG
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote:
B.Douille wrote:Seems fixed in 0.88 :)
Actually not :( I found some of my last pictures not appropriately displayed due to this persistent bug.
could you send me original picture, and the way to reproduce
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Hello Pierre,

I'm back after some pause, sorry for the delay. The issue is still there in v0.90.
You can find samples and screenshots I uploaded here: https://fil.email/7kKL8JrZ

The file name of the 5 screenshots gives the sequence (A to E) and the action.

What I've noticed while preparing this is not only the EXIF orientation filed is not updated but also the rotation buttons in the browser view becomes greyed and the thumbnail is not refreshed.

Best regards,
DBa
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

when 'rotate images accoring exif orient' is not enabled, right?
Pierre.