XnViewMP v0.72 is broken the Crop tools

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

VictorVG

XnViewMP v0.72 is broken the Crop tools

Post by VictorVG »

In XnViewMP v0.72 broke the Crop tool that appears simple - the selection frame is drawn, pressing naturally leads to unpredictable results. I thought that when I watch it but received independent confirmation of his observations. The effect was observed on Win7. At the time of its display switches the cursor to the main window of the program (using the standard scheme cursors OS) with "arrow" on the "hand" - probably the program tries to deal with the other team.
Xeon E5 2697v2/C602/128 GB PC3-14900L Quad Channel/GTX 1660 Ti/9 Tb HDD
Xeon E5-2697v2/C602J/128 Gb PC3-14900L Quad Channel/GTX 1660 Ti/7Tb HDD
CameronD

Re: XnViewMP v0.72 is broken the Crop tools

Post by CameronD »

I have also noticed unexpected behaviour with the crop tools.

Crop Method 1
The method of opening the image in a new tab, draw the crop frame, then press the "crop" button, works reliably for me. I had thought previously that pressing "enter" would carry out the crop, but it switches to the browser window. This is the same in v0.69 so maybe I am getting confused with some other program.
This would not be my preferred key combination, but I cannot find anywhere in the shortcut options to change this.
1. I cannot assign the main enter key to anything - If I press <enter> on a blank custom text box then I get "key is already assigned to 180 deg". I hope not) I can assign crop to the keypad enter, but that is no better than shift X
2. I cannot see a "switch tabs" shortcut entry that would allow me to override the default use of <enter>

Crop Method 2
If I want a specific size image, I click the crop button first and get the control box (aspect set to "Free"). If I type the desired X and Y sizes into the boxes, and drag the selection box to the desired location, the "crop" button remains greyed out. It is never enabled until I resize the box using the mouse and I then need to type the correct size back in.

I have just realised the source of my confusion in the second case - in the batch process crop window the numbers are top coord, left coord, x pixels and y pixels.
But in this window they are top coord, left coord, X:Y ratio. (The use of "<>" does not mean anything to me, except "not equal" but clearly they could be equal if I wanted a square image.)

So it is not so much programming error as confusing UI. I would find it more useful to have actual number of pixels settable in the crop box. At the moment they represent pixels if "Free" is set, but do not reflect actual image size if a fixed ratio is set.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

CameronD wrote: So it is not so much programming error as confusing UI. I would find it more useful to have actual number of pixels settable in the crop box. At the moment they represent pixels if "Free" is set, but do not reflect actual image size if a fixed ratio is set.
So replace topx/y by width/height?
Pierre.
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

xnview wrote:
CameronD wrote: So it is not so much programming error as confusing UI. I would find it more useful to have actual number of pixels settable in the crop box. At the moment they represent pixels if "Free" is set, but do not reflect actual image size if a fixed ratio is set.
So replace topx/y by width/height?
Not the top x/y, but replace the ratio x:y. The top x/y is the same in batch and single crop windows, so it is consistent and useful.

However, if I select a specific ratio then the value is displayed in the drop-down window and also in the x:y ratio boxes - these numbers do not change when I resize the window, so they are redundant as an expression of ratio. At the same time there is no information telling me what the actual crop size is in pixels.
VictorVG

Post by VictorVG »

Complement and observations:

- If you select from the toolbar command "crop" my writing takes pictures window and the cursor changes to a magnifying glass with a plus in showing that there is an operation zooming.
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

VictorVG wrote:Complement and observations:

- If you select from the toolbar command "crop" my writing takes pictures window and the cursor changes to a magnifying glass with a plus in showing that there is an operation zooming.
Very strange.
I cannot find any way to make that happen on my system (win7 x64 with 64-bit XnViewMP).
My mouse cursor always stays the same default arrow (I use Windows aero system default scheme for mouse cursors) when I operate within the view window.
I cannot find any command that will enable the cursor that you describe.
VictorVG

Post by VictorVG »

The forum ru-board comrade noticed that if I quote:
Yaromaxx

Yes Victor_VG bug then and there ... Hold Ctrl - highlight area of the photo press Crop - works.
and I did not press Ctrl the allocation, so it's probably my working methods are outdated and it was time to update them, so maybe I'm missing something and got an unexpected outcome for themselves ... :D We all make mistakes and uchisya mistakes, but it is better to others - less nabёsh cones. :)
Yaromax

Post by Yaromax »

I've just found a way to make Crop tool work properly. In Settings-Interface mouse set mouse buttons: Left button - Make selection, Ctrl+Left button - Move picture - in result, we swap left button and ctrl+left button - and crop tool works fine. When i set it as default - Left button- move, and Ctrl+Left button - make selection - crop tool works, but i can move selection frame only with pressed Crtl.
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

Yaromax wrote:I've just found a way to make Crop tool work properly. In Settings-Interface mouse set mouse buttons: Left button - Make selection,...
Strange - that is what my mouse is set to, and afaik has always been set to - I do not remember ever changing the defaults.

Maybe they changed some time and it depends on which version you first installed.
xnview-support

Post by xnview-support »

CameronD wrote: Crop Method 2
If I want a specific size image, I click the crop button first and get the control box (aspect set to "Free"). If I type the desired X and Y sizes into the boxes, and drag the selection box to the desired location, the "crop" button remains greyed out. It is never enabled until I resize the box using the mouse and I then need to type the correct size back in.
This is still happening in the current version. If a user simply makes numerical selections in the number entry boxes, "Crop" button remains greyed out. The user has to physically move the edges of the Crop box in the image. This is bad if the user has a precise selection user wants to make, which will only be messed up by moving the Crop edges manually.