Better quality control?

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

jonha4711

Better quality control?

Post by jonha4711 »

The title says it all. I seriously think that XnViewMP (I can't talk about Classic as I've never used it) needs a better approach to quality control. As it stands now I will refrain from any further update (I just updated to .80 but will go back to .79) until I am reasonable sure there are no significant problems with it. An application that potentially destroys my data is not something I fancy.

Sorry to have to say that but that's my take. Some may think I'm over-reacting, especially since XnViewMP is free for personal use. Nevertheless, I do have to trust the software I use (whether free or paid for) and currently I don't. Simple as that.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Better quality control?

Post by xnview »

Why did you go back??
jonha4711 wrote:An application that potentially destroys my data is not something I fancy.
Do you have such problem?????
Pierre.
jonha4711

Post by jonha4711 »

xnview wrote:Why did you go back??
As I wrote: because I do not trust XnViewMP.
xnview wrote:
jonha4711 wrote:An application that potentially destroys my data is not something I fancy.
Do you have such problem?????
I do. I've worked a lot with categories in the last weeks and it took me a long time to get used to the bug (that is apparently not a bug) that the Delete key, when pressed with the focus in the Categories tab, instead attempts to delete the selected images. No real harm done as I have multiple backups but I certainly can do without that distraction. (Admittedly, 0.79 has the same non-bug.)

There are also bug reports where, under certain circumstances, images are stripped of their EXIF data. That is definitely something that could be a real problem for me as I work regularly with new images which have not yet been backed up.

Anyway, I've run into so many quirks during the last weeks of extensive testing that I am now taking a back seat.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jonha4711 wrote: Anyway, I've run into so many quirks during the last weeks of extensive testing that I am now taking a back seat.
Sorry about that, but i do my best to fix all bugs...
Pierre.
jonha4711

Post by jonha4711 »

xnview wrote:
jonha4711 wrote: Anyway, I've run into so many quirks during the last weeks of extensive testing that I am now taking a back seat.
No hard feelings. I simply think that a little more effort in quality control BEFORE releasing a new version might help.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jonha4711 wrote:
xnview wrote:
No hard feelings. I simply think that a little more effort in quality control BEFORE releasing a new version might help.
I can't test all posibilities :?
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Perhaps we should reintroduce beta testing phases?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnTriq wrote:Perhaps we should reintroduce beta testing phases?
Perhaps but i don't know how to make it simple (for me). The previous beta testing was difficult to follow...
Pierre.
jonha4711

Post by jonha4711 »

XnTriq wrote:Perhaps we should reintroduce beta testing phases?
As it stands right now, the early adopters of a new version (of whom I was one) are effectively the beta testers. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, it just means that people will have to decide at which point they actually install a new version.

I am not overly concerned with simple functional bugs but I'd be rather unhappy if a bug wiped out all or parts of my photo collection. (I do have multiple backups so it wouldn't be the end of the world, although occasionally, when I have a batch of new photos I work with them in XnViewMP w/o having them backed up beforehand.)
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

You could just go back to an earlier version and mark it as ( Known Stable Release). I would at least mark the versions coming out using new QT builds as beta, for a little while anyways. You have no idea what it might break or bugs introduced. New users might not be aware of this.

Lately, I've been staying at least 1 or 2 versions behind because i don't always have time for surprises. (certain things not working right).
This doesn't really bother me either. I'm not 1 that needs the (New Stamp) on my software, unless it brings a feature I have to have.
The db file is 1 thing, but files getting wiped or something else is another. So far everything has been alright for the most part. A while back I had to reformat my hard drive twice because of a drag drop bug.

My 2 cents anyway.
And Thank you for all that you do for Xnview and XnviewMP.
Both are great tools.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Perhaps we can create a group 'XnViewMP beta testing', i post a windows x64bits version (better to build quickly), and you check if there is no regression?
We can perhaps try for the 0.83?
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

xnview wrote:Perhaps we can create a group 'XnViewMP beta testing', i post a windows x64bits version (better to build quickly), and you check if there is no regression?
We can perhaps try for the 0.83?
Yes, I think we should give it a try for the next release and also whenever Qt is updated.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

please check this post
Pierre.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

xnview wrote:please check this post
I get this message from that link: I Also tried from the front page
You are not authorised to read this forum.
Is the board not finished yet and I Am too early ??
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Erixx haxx wrote:I get this message from that link: I Also tried from the front page
You are not authorised to read this forum.
Could you please try again, Erixx haxx?