0.83 x64 Win: No catalog refresh

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

antineff

0.83 x64 Win: No catalog refresh

Post by antineff »

Like commented by me within some other threads, I have the feeling the catalog refresh doesn't work properly.

The new case:

I generated a fitered view using a category from the category pane located on the left.
Then I used the Windows Explorer to move some of the directories, containing the files in the view, outside of the catalog area (to a directory that is not included in the catalog).
I noticed that in the remaining view in XnViewMP the metadata of the files was not displayed anymore, only the thumbnail and the filename. Of course also clicking on the thumb did not expand the picture.
So far so good. But then I would like to update my categories list and thumbnails as well.
F5 didn't do anything.
Settings / catalog / Refresh Thumbs (Miniaturbilder neu erstellen) got to hang the function always with the same video file (I didn't test to remove that file yet**). So no change in the appearence of the categories list and the still shown up view of "ghost" pictures.

I would not expect XnViewMP to automatically refresh the catalog (although this must be possible, Picasa did recognize changes done in its absence), but I would expect one of the two options above to do that work.

(** now I did that test: It was file DSCN4912.MOV. I removed it. Now the function hangs with file DSCN4911.JPG. The next file before. So I assume it's not an issue of the files.)
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.83 x64 Win: No catalog refresh

Post by xnview »

If you move files outside XnView, catalog will not be updated.
antineff wrote: F5 didn't do anything.
So F5 must check for orphaned files?
Settings / catalog / Refresh Thumbs (Miniaturbilder neu erstellen) got to hang the function always with the same video file (I didn't test to remove that file yet**). So no change in the appearence of the categories list and the still shown up view of "ghost" pictures.

(** now I did that test: It was file DSCN4912.MOV. I removed it. Now the function hangs with file DSCN4911.JPG. The next file before. So I assume it's not an issue of the files.)
Do you have sent a crash report?
Pierre.
antineff

Re: 0.83 x64 Win: No catalog refresh

Post by antineff »

xnview wrote:So F5 must check for orphaned files?
I think there should be some kind of function that brings the DB data to an updated state. If automatically or manually is secondary, I'd say.
antineff wrote:Do you have sent a crash report?
I sent a crash report for the "how to loose categories" issue. But in this case the program doesn't crash. The function is looping when reaching that point. The info window is kept displayed until you click the Cancel button. The program continues normally.