0.84: Very slow startup on Win7 x64

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

dough

0.84: Very slow startup on Win7 x64

Post by dough »

XnView: MP 0.84 - 64 bit

xnviewmp.exe always takes at least 6-9 seconds to start up, regardless of whether I execute .exe directly, open an associated file from Explorer or do it in some other way.

Disabling opening file browser on startup, disabling update checking, enabling opening files in tabs instead of separate windows, changing the location of the settings and cache (program directory/user directory/registry) and using different versions (I have tried all portable and non-portable x32 and x64 versions from MP 0.81 to 0.84) do not affect the problem in any way.

In comparison, non-MP XnView (2.39), builtin Windows image viewer and my custom viewer (C++ with modified Qt) launch instantaneously (in less than a second).

Effect: It is impossible to work with large amounts of files from Explorer because of huge delays on opening every file.

To reproduce:
1. Install XnView MP 0.84 on Windows 7 x64 PC.
2. Try to run xnviewmp.exe.
3. The startup will take at least 6 seconds.
Actual behaviour (bug): Startup takes 6+ seconds

Expected behaviour: Instant startup, like with non-MP XnView version
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.84: Very slow startup on Win7 x64

Post by xnview »

Do you have tried with a clean xnview.ini? to rename the .db files? Which path i used for xnview.ini?
Pierre.
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

This may or may not be related, but I have been noticing some very slow startup with 0.85b2.

I do not see any problem with v0.84, but v0.85b2 seem to take more like 20 seconds to fire up occasionally.

As far as I can tell, it happens the first time after I resume from hibernation, and sometimes after as well, but most of the time it starts within 1-2 seconds, the same as v0.84

When it starts slowly, the total CPU usage gradually creeps up until it is about 50% and kernel cpu usage is about 1/4 of that. When it starts normally, the cpu usage gives a tiny spike.

Program startup completes in about 15000 page faults whether it starts fast or slowly: when fast it is about 8000 faults per second.
When it starts slowly it can be anything from 100 down to 2 page faults per second.

It does no significant I/O in that time.

The event logs show nothing unusual.
phaolo

Post by phaolo »

Mm, so far I didn't notice any startup slowdown with XnView MP 0.84 on Win7 x64.
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

In my case, it seems to be MsMpEng.exe (part of the MS antimalware service) that is chewing up all the cpu.

Slow startup time is around 35 seconds :!:

At a guess, it might be related to the fact that my test install is not under "Program Files", so the scanner assumes less, or it might be some weird set of conditions that cause it to do far more than necessary.
helmut

Post by helmut »

CameronD wrote:In my case, it seems to be MsMpEng.exe (part of the MS antimalware service) that is chewing up all the cpu. ...
Good that you found out more about the slow startup. So in your case it's not a problem of XnView MP, right? (BTW, I had observed the very slow reaction also once on my computer when I didn't use XnView MP for a longer while. I'm still not sure what was going on, then).
arspr

Post by arspr »

I've also suffered it with 0.85 beta versions in Windows 10

At least with these beta versions, the problem seems to be that they are not "signed" or whatever. The very first time I tried to run them after install (copying them, I mean) I got a serious warning from Windows Defender about (I don't exactly remember the exact text) a possible harmful program, bla, bla, bla,...

After this very first time, then every first run after power on, it took quite a lot of time for the program to launch. Subsequent runs were "normal" till next power off/on cycle.

Adding XnView to Windows Defender exceptions solved the issue.

So, yes, it seems a problem with MS antivirus/antimalware software.
helmut

Post by helmut »

arspr wrote:...
Adding XnView to Windows Defender exceptions solved the issue.

So, yes, it seems a problem with MS antivirus/antimalware software.
O.k., let's see whether the slow startup still occurs with 0.85 final.