0.85: File browser not responding for minutes

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Fritzle

0.85: File browser not responding for minutes

Post by Fritzle »

XnView: MP 0.85 - 64-bit
OS: Windows 10 - 64-bit - Creators Update Version 1703 Build 15063.138

Effect: File browser not responding for minutes when opening certain directories.
-> Title bar shows "Not responding" (screenshot attached)
-> Task manager shows state "Inactive"
-> Sysinternals Process Explorer's stack view shows "ntdll.dll!ZwWaitForSingleObject+0x14" on top
(stack trace of main thread attached)

To reproduce:
1. Remove settings directory C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\XnViewMP
2. Start program
3. Navigate to directory C:\Users\<user>
-> File browser not responding for minutes
4. Navigate to directory C:\Users\<user>\Desktop
5. Close program
6. Restart program

Note: Also reproducible with version 0.83 and 0.84.
Attachments
Screenshot.zip
(221.18 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Stack trace.zip
(975 Bytes) Downloaded 105 times
helmut

Re: 0.85: File browser not responding for minutes

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your bug report with a stack trace included, Fritzle. I assume this problem occurs with this folder, only - right?

It looks like XnView MP tries to create the default system icon and is locked for some reason (just guessing).
Fritzle

Post by Fritzle »

Seems to be a problem with Windows' special folders, Desktop, My Documents, My Pictures, etc.

When closing and reopening program while having opened a regular folder before, program is responding immediately after startup.

When closing and reopening program while having opened a special folder before, program is not responding for minutes after startup, preventing from navigating to a different folder. Tree view of directory tree however is shown correctly after startup, icons of special folders included.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your extra info, Fritzle. Could you run XnView MP with aministrator rights and see whether it still hangs when browsing?

@Pierre: I guess it will be difficult to reproduce this problem. Does the stack trace help you? Could you perhaps provide a special version of XnView MP with trace and/or debug information to Fritzle?
Fritzle

Post by Fritzle »

I tried following:

Started program logged in as a normal user using context menu item "Run as administrator" -> program is responding immediately.
Started program logged in as an adminstrative user using context menu item "Run as administrator" -> program is responding immediately.
Started program logged in as an adminstrative user not using context menu item "Run as administrator" -> program is not responding.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Fritzle wrote:I tried following: ....
Thank you for your tests, Fritzle. Looks like a(nother) permission problem. I hope that Pierre can track this down and find a solution.
Fritzle

Post by Fritzle »

Seems, I found the culprit.

Watching XnViewMP executable in Sysinternals Process Monitor, I noticed that executable had been reading registry entries dealing with Microsoft's OneDrive just before not responding anymore.

To get rid of OneDrive's annoying popup dialog window asking to register my email address again and again, I had disabled OneDrive following instructions found at https://technobb.com/disable-or-uninsta ... indows-10/. Setting registry key DisableFileSyncNGSC to value 1, disables OneDrive but unfortunately causes XnViewMP to hang. Setting registry key DisableFileSyncNGSC to value 0, solves XnViewMP issue but enables OneDrive. Unfortunately, while OneDrive's executable onedrive.exe not running, each time starting up XnViewMP causes starting up OneDrive too, showing it's popup dialog window and asking me to register.

I am rather sure, problem was introduced by Windows 10 Creator's Update (version 1703). I was able to test with virtual PCs, Windows 10 version 1607 as well as Windows 10 version 1703. Virtual disk of former installation is a backup of latter one, backed up just before updating one week ago. OneDrive is disabled in either case. Beside XnViewMP, nothing else was installed nor modified so far. Swapping virtual disks makes XnViewMP either to respond immediately or not to respond for about 3 minutes.

Note:
XnView 2.39 does not care whether OneDrive is enabled or disabled, neither with Windows 10 version 1607 nor version 1703.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Very good that you found the reason for the problem (Microsofts OneDrive), Fritzle! Let's see whether Pierre can do something about this.
Llewen

Post by Llewen »

I think what I am experiencing may be related to this issue, which may not be related so much to OneDrive, as it is to the way Windows 10 handles virtual disks and non-default partitioning.

The drive is a four ssd raid 0. I have it partitioned into three partitions, Systems, Programs and Files. I've set the permissions correctly for the partitions and their use. Most of the time it works well, but occasionally I experience issues. The browser on both XnView and XnViewMP hangs indefinitely.

I can open up XnViewMP if I disable the browser, and use it to convert RAW files, which is why I installed it. But the moment I try to open the browser it hangs. Windows 10 is installed on Systems, Windows 10 apps and programs are installed by default on the Programs partition, and files folders, such as Documents, OneDrive, etc., have been moved to the Files partition. I also have a ramdisk on which my temp folders, prefetch and paging file reside.

I'll post a screen that will hopefully make it clear. The redacted folder names are windows account names:

partitions.jpg
partitions.jpg (35.05 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
Llewen

Post by Llewen »

Llewen wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:55 am I think what I am experiencing may be related to this issue, which may not be related so much to OneDrive, as it is to the way Windows 10 handles virtual disks and non-default partitioning.
There is another reason why I say that this issue might be related to the way Windows 10 handles virtual disks and non-default partitioning. So far I have been unable get Windows 10 to perform a major version upgrade on this system without a full format and reinstall. Windows 10 tends not to play nice with non-standard partitioning, and there has been a specific, ongoing issue with ssd's and programs installed on partitions not containing the operating system.