0.86: XnViewMP don't follow an eventual symbolic link to write modifications

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

mahikeulbody

0.86: XnViewMP don't follow an eventual symbolic link to write modifications

Post by mahikeulbody »

XnView MP Linux (Ubuntu 16.10)
Version 0.86 64bits (Apr 25 2017)

Modifying a file throught a symbolic link don't follow the link so the "real" file is not modified ; instead of that, the symbolic link is replaced by the modified file.

To reproduce:
1. To select a file which is a symbolic link file to a "real" file in another folder => XnViewMP displays correctly the picture and all associated metadata
2. To write some metadata on this selected file (i.e. the symbolic link file) => XnViewMP don't follow the link and replace the symbolic link file by the modified file. The "real" file is not modified.

Expected behaviour: to follow the link to write the modified file.
mahikeulbody

Re: 0.86: XnViewMP don't follow an eventual symbolic link to write modifications

Post by mahikeulbody »

I found this thread explaining that the "problem" come from the way we use Exiftool :

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/foru ... pic=6308.0

Could XnViewMP adopt "-overwrite_original_in_place" method (or at least let the choice) ?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.86: XnViewMP don't follow an eventual symbolic link to write modifications

Post by xnview »

could you tell me if you have always the bug with lastest version?
Pierre.
mahikeulbody

Post by mahikeulbody »

(sorry for the delay to answer)

Yes, I have always the bug with

XnView MP Linux
Version 0.91 64bits (Sep 6 2018)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

the bug occurs when you save the picture file in edit mode?
Pierre.
mahikeulbody

Post by mahikeulbody »

I open the file selecting the symbolic link and then I edit some xmp metadata and then I write it.

Then within my file manager I can see the symbolic link became a true file (with the edited metadata) and the "original" file (this one the symbolic link pointed out) don't have the new metadata.

Please see my post above (dated ven. juin 30, 2017 12:25 pm).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i have opened a link, and saved it. The link is always a link, and original file is modified
Pierre.
mahikeulbody

Post by mahikeulbody »

Ok. Aux grands maux les grands moyens...

I just tried on a clean installed system (MX Linux instead of Manjaro previously), which uses another file manager (Thunar instead of Dolphin).

I installed the xnviewmp deb package without modifying any setting.

I created a symbolic link of a test.jog file (not in the same folder).

I displayed test.jpg (through the symbolic link) with xnviewmp.

I edited the 'legend' field of the image (edit xmp/iptc) and then I writed the file.

Then I displayed the real test.jpg file with xnviewmp : the 'legend' field is ever empty.
I displayed again the "symbolic link" file : the 'legend' field contains the edited value.

In the file manager I can see that the symbolic link became a real file.

(you may have to refresh the file manager in order to display the modification symbolic link --> a new real test.jpg)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce with IPTC dialog
Pierre.