Crash after multi-tab session (and re-crash)

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

KaosNoKamisama

Crash after multi-tab session (and re-crash)

Post by KaosNoKamisama »

XnView MP on a 64 MacOSX 10.11.6

I use XnView MP mainly as a way to navigate and keep all my image folders (original digital illustrations, photography and reference material). I also use it a lot when drawing or painting, as a way to have reference material open at hand (very easy due to the tab system). The problem is that the program has a very hard time with multi-tab sessions... whenever I close it I have to give up all the tabs I had open, because it just won't be able to re-open the session I was working in. I know, the program warns you that it maybe will take longer to open, but the truth is that even with three or four tabs open, it will just insta-crash when re-opened. The big problem is that it crashes before you can even close the tabs or do anything, so you have to hone your seek-and-destroy skills in order to close the whole program before it crashes and assumes it has to re-open with all the tabs it can't handle. It gets especially annoying when you told XnView on closing you didn't want it to remember the tabs you had open (because you know it won't be able to handle them), and it opens with the tabs anyway the next ime (and crashed, of course). Since I use to work with lots of tabs and need them to be the same through many sessions, it's really a bummer. I whish you could do something so that it could manage tabs between sessions in a better way (like firefox and other web browsers can remember the tabs from your last session).

Oh, i've also had some trouble importing pictures from my camera lately (I had nonde before). It says the pictures are already in the forlder I'm importing them to, but there's none of them. If you tell the interface to just overwrite the (non existent) files, it imports nothing.

I hope this helps somehow to improve the program, since it's really good. There aren't many decent ways to have controll and a good overview of your graphic files out there!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Crash after multi-tab session (and re-crash)

Post by xnview »

KaosNoKamisama wrote: I whish you could do something so that it could manage tabs between sessions in a better way (like firefox and other web browsers can remember the tabs from your last session).
What do you means like firefox?
Pierre.
KaosNoKamisama

Post by KaosNoKamisama »

Oh, I just mean that in those browsers you can open them in a clean session and they "remember" the tabs you had open just before you last closed the program; so you just go to the menu and hit "restore las session" (or whatever it's called in each browser). In XnView the program will, first ask you if you want it to save the session (remembering the images you had open in different tabs); and if it considers thise a too much, it will alert you that next time you start XnView it could "take time" since it has to load that stuff.

I'm not anywhere near someone who knows much about software, but I like to have a way to continue the session I was last on in a quick way, without having to re-browse all the way through my folders and hundreds of reference images to manually re-open them (and having to remember exactly what images I had open). This, of ocurse, taking in account that the context is using Xn as a way to keep multiple reference pictures at hand (or eye) during work being done in Clip Studio Paint, Photoshop or even Lightroom. The advantages of using XnView to explore image collections is huge (starting from the way it will actually allow you to have a decent folder tree on one side and a display of the folders' content on the other, offering decent thumbnails and info). It would be awfull to have to use something like Apple's Photos or the picture viewer for this, since one operates only based on collections (you can't really use your own folder-system), and the other is just awfull... I came to XnView from having spent years using AcDsee for the same task, but XnView is much lighter and works much smoother (in my oppinion); the tab system also sounded like a really good tool in comparisson to AcDsee, but until now I have been having this issue. If I don't remember to close all my open tabs before closing it and telling it to foget the session it will crash next time (and sometimes even doing so it will mysteriously try to start in the last-used session).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

so you don't want to start XnViewMP with last session automatically, but to have the possibility to restore 'last session' by a menu item, right?
Pierre.
KaosNoKamisama

Post by KaosNoKamisama »

xnview wrote:so you don't want to start XnViewMP with last session automatically, but to have the possibility to restore 'last session' by a menu item, right?
I don't really care if XnviewMP starts automatically or optionally with the last session, so much as that it actually DOES remeber the last session when you need it to do so. In this moment, theoretically, it should be able to remeber and restart the las session, but in reallity it just crashes unless the last session was reaaaaalllllyyy light on tabs (so, it's not very usefull). The thing about the optional "restore last session" thing is that, if it crashes, it will crash after you ask it to open all the tabs you had from last time, instead of just crashing on start without you having even the time to do anything... that's why I mentioned it.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

KaosNoKamisama wrote:
xnview wrote:so you don't want to start XnViewMP with last session automatically, but to have the possibility to restore 'last session' by a menu item, right?
I don't really care if XnviewMP starts automatically or optionally with the last session, so much as that it actually DOES remeber the last session when you need it to do so. In this moment, theoretically, it should be able to remeber and restart the las session, but in reallity it just crashes unless the last session was reaaaaalllllyyy light on tabs (so, it's not very usefull). The thing about the optional "restore last session" thing is that, if it crashes, it will crash after you ask it to open all the tabs you had from last time, instead of just crashing on start without you having even the time to do anything... that's why I mentioned it.
how many tabs do you had? the folder of your pictures are big?
Pierre.
KaosNoKamisama

Post by KaosNoKamisama »

xnview wrote:
KaosNoKamisama wrote:
how many tabs do you had? the folder of your pictures are big?
The folder is actually subdivided in many sub-folders; some bigger than others. I has crashes on my with as few as 4 tabs. I can't remember it crashing with fewer than that.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

KaosNoKamisama wrote: The folder is actually subdivided in many sub-folders; some bigger than others. I has crashes on my with as few as 4 tabs. I can't remember it crashing with fewer than that.
Only 4 tabs??? And how many files do you have in folder of images?
Pierre.
KaosNoKamisama

Post by KaosNoKamisama »

xnview wrote:
KaosNoKamisama wrote: The folder is actually subdivided in many sub-folders; some bigger than others. I has crashes on my with as few as 4 tabs. I can't remember it crashing with fewer than that.
Only 4 tabs??? And how many files do you have in folder of images?
Depends on the folder, but usually plenty. The weird thing is that sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't (with the same session of tabs).
shokuzai

Post by shokuzai »

I too experience occasional crashes when opening XnView MP with a saved session with a large number of tabs.
XnView: MP 0.87 - 64 bit

I recommend tagging the files you want to save over sessions instead of opening them in multiple tabs in case you don't already know. Then you can "Show tagged files". The shortcuts for them can be found in Tools -> Settings -> Interface -> Shortcuts. You can tag files by "Tag current". Or you can tag them by checking "tag box" if View -> Tag -> Show tag box is checked.
Make sure to set "Tagged filelist must be cleared" to "Never" in Tools -> Settings -> Browser -> Tag, and the tagged files are saved over sessions in more stable way.
If you prefer opening them in multiple tabs you can do it by selecting and drag-and-dropping them to the empty space where the tabs reside if you uncheck "Only one view per file" in Tools -> Settings -> Interface -> Interface. But I don't know how I can tag the files at once which are already opened in multiple tabs.
You can also save multiple sets of files by assigning categories and show them through Categories Filter.
KaosNoKamisama

Post by KaosNoKamisama »

shokuzai wrote:I too experience occasional crashes when opening XnView MP with a saved session with a large number of tabs.
XnView: MP 0.87 - 64 bit

I recommend tagging the files you want to save over sessions instead of opening them in multiple tabs in case you don't already know. Then you can "Show tagged files". The shortcuts for them can be found in Tools -> Settings -> Interface -> Shortcuts. You can tag files by "Tag current". Or you can tag them by checking "tag box" if View -> Tag -> Show tag box is checked.
Make sure to set "Tagged filelist must be cleared" to "Never" in Tools -> Settings -> Browser -> Tag, and the tagged files are saved over sessions in more stable way.
If you prefer opening them in multiple tabs you can do it by selecting and drag-and-dropping them to the empty space where the tabs reside if you uncheck "Only one view per file" in Tools -> Settings -> Interface -> Interface. But I don't know how I can tag the files at once which are already opened in multiple tabs.
You can also save multiple sets of files by assigning categories and show them through Categories Filter.
Thanks for the shortcuts-tips =)
metrio

Post by metrio »

I can confirm and reproduce this bug in 0.88 and earlier versions. This tends to happen when I restore a session with several viewer tabs open (I've had it happen with 4); the folders their images are in contain hundreds to thousands of files, or were from searches.

It's a delayed crash, in that the app opens, I can switch to the tabs and see the images they had open, and then it crashes. Notably, it doesn't crash if I close all the viewer tabs before it does so, and the app works normally after that.
Kevaskous

Post by Kevaskous »

The above post is still a issue for me as well. to the point the feature is essentially useless. It usually works fine until i add a new picture to the folder the open tabs originate from.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Kevaskous wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:32 am The above post is still a issue for me as well. to the point the feature is essentially useless. It usually works fine until i add a new picture to the folder the open tabs originate from.
could you describe the steps to reproduce?
Pierre.
Kevaskous

Post by Kevaskous »

xnview wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:53 pm
Kevaskous wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:32 am The above post is still a issue for me as well. to the point the feature is essentially useless. It usually works fine until i add a new picture to the folder the open tabs originate from.
could you describe the steps to reproduce?
Have at least 4 or 5 tabs, though number hardly seems to matter. Have those pics coming from folders with lots of pics, like, thousands. Usually it crashes on startup, if not, adding a new pic or two usually does the trick. There is a delay in it crashing too, this delay varies but fortunately means you can close and tell it to forget fast enough to make the program actually usable again. This has been happening to me now for like 3 or 4 years. This feature has never worked reliably more than a handful of times in a row on Windows 8, 10 or Linux on Manjaro, Arch, Ubuntu, Solus just to name a few. it's honestly super tiring and if there was a good alternative I'd have taken it ages ago for this very reason, no offense. RIP Picaso.