[0.87]Performance depends on view

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

jadO

[0.87]Performance depends on view

Post by jadO »

I don't know if this is a bug. I have seen this in previous versions as well. It seems that performance depends on the sort order.
When I have sorted the files by date then performance is quite ok. But when I sort differently, like by file size, the performance is significantly worse. Loading thumbnails requires more time, selecting files does takek more time. And when a file has been selected, it takes more time until the interface is ready and something can be clicked.
Everything reacts much much slower then.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: [0.87]Performance depends on view

Post by xnview »

in browser mode?
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

xnview wrote:in browser mode?
Yes.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jadO wrote:
xnview wrote:in browser mode?
Yes.
i've checked sort by file size, and no delay in browser mode. By delay, you means the time to build thumbnails?
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

No, thumbnails are cached and display quickly. But upon selecting a file it takes a while until further action is possible.
For example: Selecting a file and doing a right click. It takes a while until the menu displays. Or selecting a file and trying to scroll. Sometimes I can see the green progress indicator doing something even if all thumbnails are being displayed already. So there might be some background task running which prevents any user action until it has been finished.
wartisoc

Post by wartisoc »

I can confirm this. In the default sort order, by date, scrolling in browser mode goes smoothly. Switching the sort order to, say, by extension, scrolling with the mouse wheel goes smoothly but as long as you stop scrolling, the progress bar at the bottom of the XnView window appears and goes from 0% to 100% as if it is doing some task; what that task is I don't know, though. This might be just a visual glitch since, at least on my PC, everything seems to work fine but it's still annoying to see the progress bar appear as if some processing is going on.

This happens on the Linux 64 bits version of XnView MP 0.87.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jadO wrote:No, thumbnails are cached and display quickly. But upon selecting a file it takes a while until further action is possible.
For example: Selecting a file and doing a right click. It takes a while until the menu displays. Or selecting a file and trying to scroll. Sometimes I can see the green progress indicator doing something even if all thumbnails are being displayed already. So there might be some background task running which prevents any user action until it has been finished.
Some filtering need to have a 2-pass, do you use Filter by>Image?
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

No. These are perfectly chached previews of video files. The only change is the sort order.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jadO wrote:No. These are perfectly chached previews of video files. The only change is the sort order.
could you send me your xnview.ini?
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

Just tested with 0.94b2 and this weird behavior is still present. It is almost unusable with a different sort order as everything takes more time than usual.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

please post your xnview.ini
Pierre.