0.88 Mac OS X - Clicking on window’s “X” control unavoidably closes app

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

BobDobbs

0.88 Mac OS X - Clicking on window’s “X” control unavoidably closes app

Post by BobDobbs »

XnView: MP 0.88 - 64-bit

Effect: XnViewMP quits, no option to keep open

XnViewMP quits when clicking the window’s “X” close control but has no option to cancel the action and keep the app open.

To reproduce:
1. Open an image in its own tab.
2. Click on the overall window’s “X” close control.
3. Dialog appears if “save session on program exit” is set.
4. No matter what choice is made, application quits.

Expected behaviour: When an image is open in its own tab (especially) and in general, clicking the window’s “X” close control should provide the option to quit the application OR to cancel the action and leave the app open.

There already exist controls to close the image and of course the app (Command-Q). A Mac OS user accustomed to clicking the window close control to close just a pane or tab has no option when accidentally clicking the close control; the application quits regardless, forcing the user to restart and navigate to the folder previously in use.

It would be excellent if a similar option to the “closing last tab exits Xnview” were available to prevent automatic exit, or if the dialog would allow aborting or canceling an accidental click on the window close control. It appears that this click is intercepted by the software already, so an option to cancel the action should be possible.

I'm trying to train myself to just click on the tab "X" control to close the image, but the habits of using many OS X apps makes it difficult for me to change my habit for this one app. It's a superb tool and this one change would help a lot. (P.S.: I have already donated to help the development)
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.88 Mac OS X - Clicking on window’s “X” control unavoidably closes app

Post by xnview »

you have settings>interface>tabs>closing last tab exits XnView
Pierre.
BobDobbs

Post by BobDobbs »

Yes, but that only applies to the tabs (a subset of the application window), not the actual window. If you click the window "X" close control, the app quits no matter what you do.

Mac UI guidelines say "In general, never close a document based application when the last window closes. The user will expect to be able to open a new document without relaunching the application, and it will confuse them if they can't." Most Apple-written document-based applications adhere to this guideline.

It's not that there aren't workarounds, it's just that it behaves in a way that is a bit unsettling to a Mac user familiarizing themselves with the app.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

BobDobbs wrote:Yes, but that only applies to the tabs (a subset of the application window), not the actual window. If you click the window "X" close control, the app quits no matter what you do.
Yes, if you have only one tab, XnView will be closed if this setting is on
Pierre.