0.88: Unexported categories removed after importing metadata

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

shokuzai

0.88: Unexported categories removed after importing metadata

Post by shokuzai »

XnView: MP 0.88 - 64-bit

Editing and importing the XMP Subjects / IPTC Keywords of a file, while the categories with the option "Don't export" checked can't be seen there, results in unexpected removal of them from that file.

Effect: unexpected removal of category assignments

To reproduce:
1.Make sure Setting > Metadata > IPTC & XMP > Import XMP subject or IPTC keword to DB Categories is checked.
2.Go to Categories Pane, right-click one of the categories, click Edit…, and make sure the option "Don't export" is checked.
3.Assign that category to a file.
4.Right-click that file, click Edit IPTC/XMP…, go to Keywords tab, and add or remove some entries.
5.Select another file and select the file back again, and you can see that category assignment is removed.

Expected behaviour:
It asks the user whether when importing the metadata it should:
(i) echo the metadata totally in Catalog and remove all the category assignments which are not included in it, or
(ii) retain the categories with the option "Don't export" checked,
either each time in a dialog box or once in Settings.
Last edited by shokuzai on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
shokuzai

Re: 0.88: Unexported categories removed after importing metadata

Post by shokuzai »

This seems to be the case only when editing XMP Subjects / IPTC Keywords inside XnView. When I edited them from outside XnView they were not automatically reflected in Categories. I had to "Update catalog from files" manually. Its behavior seems inconsistent here. This behavior, where Catalog won't be overwritten until it is manually updated is preferable even when editing XMP Subjects / IPTC Keywords inside XnView in my opinion.