Lost window controls (close, maximize, minimize, move, restore)

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Trianine

Lost window controls (close, maximize, minimize, move, restore)

Post by Trianine »

Somehow I have been losing control of the window functions in Windows 10, and XNViewMP becomes stuck in maximized mode and cannot be closed via the [X], but can be closed normally with a double-click or escape based on user settings.

When trying (alt-space) and selecting the different options to change window location, dimensions, and behavior, the window is still stuck either in minimized or maximized mode. Toggling full-screen via the keyboard shortcut (f11) also appears to have no effect. However, toggling full-screen via xnview right-click options did finally resolve the error for me.

This error has now occurred over three versions of XNViewMP, including the latest .88. Problem persists with restart of windows and after closing the program. No other Windows programs appear to be having this issue. Uninstallation of program does resolve issue, but all settings are lost. I suspect it may be related to a program crash, but don't have enough information.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Lost window controls (close, maximize, minimize, move, restore)

Post by xnview »

are you able to reproduce this bug?
Pierre.
Trianine

Post by Trianine »

I am unable to reproduce it willingly. But it has happened again. I came here to find out how I resolved it before and was unable to fix it using the method described above. It appears that the window is in maximized mode, but the windows controls do not reflect this (alt-space) If I select maximize, it seems like the window is restored, and a single fullscreen command will return the window controls. Currently, the window is maximized and the option is greyed out. But that was not the case when controls were stuck.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

when you start it, you have always this problem?
Pierre.
Francois_C

Post by Francois_C »

I noticed the same issue with XnViewMP 0.94.1 64bits on Windows 7.
It disappeared after I ran CCleaner, (with a customized additional command that deletes C:\Users\<my name>\AppData\Roaming\XnViewMP\Thumb.db and C:\Users\<my name>\AppData\Roaming\XnViewMP\XnView.db). Don't know whether this issue is linked to Windows or XnView cache.
jll

Post by jll »

This may be useful to add here:

I had what appeared to be the same problem (which lead me to this post).

The program window would open, maximised, in my second monitor,
and I was unable to either drag it or minimise it.

In my case, I'd unwittingly pressed CTRL+F11, which is the shortcut for View>Titlebar.

No idea what the point of the 'Titlebar' is...
dezdem

Post by dezdem »

It happens to me quite often for about an year or so.
Still have no clues how to repro this, but I can say that it happens when I'm watching images in the fullscreen mode.
I don't use any shortcuts to go fullscreen, I just browse pictures via built-in browser then open them with a mouse middle button in FS mode.
In order to get rid of this I do the following:
I open task manager in "always on top" mode,
then I start fiddling with: minimize/maximize in the manager and w/ fullscreen button in the XN's toolbar.
After some cycles it resolves.
dezdem

Post by dezdem »

To repro:

Code: Select all

[Start]
geom=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x3\0\0\0\0\0\a\0\0\0\0\0\0\ax\0\0\x4\x30\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\x14\0\0\x2}\0\0\x1\xc0\0\0\0\0\0\x4\0\0\a\x80\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\a\x7f\0\0\x4\x37)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you have not a shortcut for 'View>titlebar'? it's the only way to hide them
Pierre.
dezdem

Post by dezdem »

xnview wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:40 pm you have not a shortcut for 'View>titlebar'? it's the only way to hide them
I don't have one. It's not possible to assign such in the "Interface>Shortcuts" menu tab.