Changing assigned categories crashes XnViewMP

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

oeci

Changing assigned categories crashes XnViewMP

Post by oeci »

On my system (Windows 10, 64 bit, Build 16299.64) XnViewMP (0.88 64 bit portable) crashes almost every time I want to change assigned categories for several photos at once. This happens only if I change categories of files that have already been categorized. It never happens if I categorize new (uncategorized) photos. What happens exactly is the following: After assigning new categories (or removing existing categories) XnViewMP becomes unresponsive and has to be force closed. But at least the changes are written into the metadata before the program crashes so after reopening XnViewMP all the desired changes have been made.

This bug is neither related to the latest Windows version nor to the latest XnViewMP version as it has been bothering me from the very beginning I started to use XnViewMP. A fix for this would be highly appreciated. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Changing assigned categories crashes XnViewMP

Post by xnview »

do you write categories in the file itself? in sidecar? or only in catalog?
Pierre.
oeci

Post by oeci »

Embedded in the metadata of the file, no sidecar file.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jpeg?
Pierre.
oeci

Post by oeci »

Jpg and Tiff (8 bit), mostly Tiffs but the error occurs with both types. For example I've got lot's of old Jpgs shot with various mobile phones. Every time I'd like to change the categories for those old photos that were categorized a long time ago there is the imminent risk of XnViewMP freezing during the process. Luckily XnViewMP writes the changes into the metadata before freezing.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

oeci wrote:Jpg and Tiff (8 bit), mostly Tiffs but the error occurs with both types. For example I've got lot's of old Jpgs shot with various mobile phones. Every time I'd like to change the categories for those old photos that were categorized a long time ago there is the imminent risk of XnViewMP freezing during the process. Luckily XnViewMP writes the changes into the metadata before freezing.
is it possible to have some samples?
Pierre.