0.88: Folders in Folders Tree are always expanding after drag'n'drop on them

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

deil

0.88: Folders in Folders Tree are always expanding after drag'n'drop on them

Post by deil »

XnView: MP 0.88 - 64 bit

When file/folder is dragged and dropped from File List area to the folder in Folders Tree, if this folder contains any subfolders, the folder will autoexpand. Folder may contain tons of subfolders, and if you dragged something to this folder, it always becomes expanded, and all its subdfolders now obstructs the view, so you need to either collapse the folder every time you drag something to it, or you have to deal with expanded folder, and now you need to scroll through all these subfolders though you don't even need them right now.

Related, this behavior started right after this bug/feature was fixed: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=35293

Effect: Every time you drag the file to some folder in Folders Tree, this folder will always autoexpand

To reproduce:
1. Drag any file/folder from File List area
2. Drop it in Folders Tree area on any folder that contains subfolders. You can do it fast or slow, it doesn't matter.

Actual behavior(bug): Folder in Folders Tree will always expand when some file/folder dropped on them.

Expected behavior: Folders in Folders Tree should only expand when you hold cursor over them for some time, i.e. like described in the topic linked above. Or at least it should be a customizable behavior.
aliensGoShopping

Re: 0.88: Folders in Folders Tree are always expanding after drag'n'drop on them

Post by aliensGoShopping »

+1 Can confirm.

Version: XNView MP v0.90

I just updated to version 0.90 after a long time of using an older version and ran into this bug as well.

Folders should only expand if the mouse hovers over them while drag'n'dropping (which they do), and stay non-expanded when just getting some files dropped into them without hovering (which they don't). They open a short bit after the drop operation completed, always. There are no special conditions required to successfully reproduce this behavior.

If this is intentional behavior, then a toggle to disable this behavior would be great to have.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.88: Folders in Folders Tree are always expanding after drag'n'drop on them

Post by xnview »

aliensGoShopping wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:08 pm Folders should only expand if the mouse hovers over them while drag'n'dropping (which they do), and stay non-expanded when just getting some files dropped into them without hovering (which they don't). They open a short bit after the drop operation completed, always. There are no special conditions required to successfully reproduce this behavior.
I can't reproduce, the folder is expanded only if dragged files hover it after 1s
Pierre.
aliensGoShopping

I'll investigate and see what conditions are required to trigger this behavior.
aliensGoShopping

Actually this is harder than I thought, since I cannot establish a baseline where the bug does NOT happen. :? It always happens.

Ah also, here is a short clip of it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55JiKgfVB4s

I've tried it on Win10, another clean install of Win10 in a VM, Win10 on a tablet PC, and Win7. All running the latest windows updates.
Each with a brand new, freshly installed copy of XNView MP v0.90, without altering or touching any settings.

I checked for these conditions, but they had no effect:
- 32bit vs. 64bit version of XNView MP
- folder names
- subfolder structures / subfolder depth / subfolder count
- filenames
- number of files that are dragged and dropped
- number of system drives/partitions or location of folders on said partitions
- Operating system x86 vs. x64
- CPU (Intel Xeon E5-2673v4, E3-1230v5, Intel Atom Z2760)
- Mouse device input / drawing tablet input / touchscreen drag and drop
- Storage location of xnview MP's settings .ini vs. registry settings storage

The only thing I can establish so far is that drag and drop is required to trigger it.
Invoking 'cut' from the rightclick menu, and then 'paste' on the destination folder does not trigger the folder tree expansion.

What do you do different that prevents you from encountering this behavior at all? Am I doing something wrong? :shock:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
aliensGoShopping

Awesome! Thanks! :D
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.91. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
aliensGoShopping

Just tested the new version. Sadly I have to report that the bug still persists and behaves like described in the earlier post.
Tested it on Win10 and Win7, freshly unpacked copy of v 0.91 Beta 1.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWjeJYJBiJk
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

aliensGoShopping wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:57 pm Just tested the new version. Sadly I have to report that the bug still persists and behaves like described in the earlier post.
Tested it on Win10 and Win7, freshly unpacked copy of v 0.91 Beta 1.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWjeJYJBiJk
right, with drag&drop, tree is expanded, will be fixed in beta 2
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.91 beta 2. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
aliensGoShopping

I tested it and can confirm that this bug has indeed been fixed for good. The behavior is as expected now.
Good job, Pierre! :D