0.92: "Reset 'Auto Image size' with next/previous file" under Settings>View doesn't seem to have any effect

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

xelnavim

0.92: "Reset 'Auto Image size' with next/previous file" under Settings>View doesn't seem to have any effect

Post by xelnavim »

XnView: MP 0.92 - 64-bit

Effect: Even with "Reset 'Auto Image size'" checked, and with all my "Auto Image Size" preferences set to "No Fit", after zooming in to an image or pressing '/' to fit an image to the screen, moving to the next/previous image maintains that new zoom level or sizing. Even using the Browser to select and open a new image in the Viewer still doesn't reset the image sizing back to "No Fit".

Expected behavior: With the Reset 'Auto Image size' preference toggled, moving to the next/previous image should reset the Viewer to whatever "Auto Image Size" preferences are set.
fireattack

Re: 0.92: "Reset 'Auto Image size' with next/previous file" under Settings>View doesn't seem to have any effect

Post by fireattack »

Can confirm having the same problem.
fireattack

Re: 0.92: "Reset 'Auto Image size' with next/previous file" under Settings>View doesn't seem to have any effect

Post by fireattack »

Actually, want to add more since from my testing, the way it works is pretty messed up.

Settings: auto image size: last used + reset 'Auto Image size' with next/previous file unchecked
Expected: when open an image it uses whatever you have before, and if you change the zoom (fit / no fit), it should be kept when you go next image.
What happened: it will always start as "fit" and reset to "fit" whenever you go next image.

Settings: auto image size: last used + reset checked
Expected: should be same as above since it is "last used" anyway.
What happened: it will always start as "fit" and reset to "fit" whenever you go next image.

Settings: auto image size: no fit + reset unchecked
Expected: start with no fit, and if you change to "fit" (or if you switch back to no fit) during viewing, it should carry to the next image in this session.
What happened: it does start with no fit, but whenever you switch to "fit" once, it will always be "fit" from now on when you go next, switching back to no fit won't be kept to the next image in this tab (until you re-open image from browser mode.)

Settings: auto image size: no fit + reset checked
Expected: start with no fit, and will always reset to "no fit" when you go next image.
What happened: if you change it to "fit", it WILL carry to next image. But this time, if you changed back to no fit during viewing, it will also carry to next image in this tab.

Settings: auto image size: fit to window + reset unchecked
Expected: start with fit, and if you change to "no fit" (or if you switch back to fit) during viewing, it should carry to the next image in this session.
What happened: it does start with fit, but it will always reset to fit when go next, even if you changed to "no fit" during viewing.

Settings: auto image size: fit to window + reset checked
Expected: start with fit, and will always reset to "fit" when you go next.
What happened: it worked as expected. <-- the only case!!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fireattack wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:02 am Settings: auto image size: last used + reset 'Auto Image size' with next/previous file unchecked
Expected: when open an image it uses whatever you have before, and if you change the zoom (fit / no fit), it should be kept when you go next image.
Not sure, you need to use 'Lock Zoom' to keep zoom level when you change current image...
Expected: start with no fit, and if you change to "fit" (or if you switch back to no fit) during viewing, it should carry to the next image in this session.
What happened: it does start with no fit, but whenever you switch to "fit" once, it will always be "fit" from now on when you go next, switching back to no fit won't be kept to the next image in this tab (until you re-open image from browser mode.)
No, if you change to 'Not fit', 'auto fit' will be 'not fit'. Zoom level must reset to 100%?
Expected: start with no fit, and will always reset to "no fit" when you go next image.
What happened: if you change it to "fit", it WILL carry to next image. But this time, if you changed back to no fit during viewing, it will also carry to next image in this tab.

Settings: auto image size: fit to window + reset unchecked
Expected: start with fit, and if you change to "no fit" (or if you switch back to fit) during viewing, it should carry to the next image in this session.
What happened: it does start with fit, but it will always reset to fit when go next, even if you changed to "no fit" during viewing.
Zoom level must reset to 100% when using 'no fit'?
Pierre.
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

I'm confused. Can you explain to me what exactly "Reset" option is supposed to do?
xnview wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:11 am
No, if you change to 'Not fit', 'auto fit' will be 'not fit'. Zoom level must reset to 100%?
Why? Yes, it indeed started with "no fit", but I changed it to "fit" during viewing. Why doesn't it remember that? Keep in mind I didn't check "reset" option.
xnview wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:11 am
Zoom level must reset to 100% when using 'no fit'?
I suppose? Isn't it what "reset" means?
Last edited by fireattack on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

Keep in mind I never want to keep zoom level (like 150% or 200%). All my test is on switching between fit and 1:1.

All I want is pretty simple, basically what ACDSee (the image software I used that before switching to XnView) do:

It starts with "fit" or "1:1", doesn't really matter.
Every time I changed the mode, it remembers the mode when I switch the image.

I don't need "lock zoom".
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

Wait a minute.. I think I kinda know what's going on here.

So apparently, "no fit" in auto image size is not the same thing as "1:1" button on the toolbar, but they're kinda related.

When I choose "no fit" in menu -> view -> auto image size during viewing, it only changes the mode but doesn't actually zoom the image to 100%.

When I click "1:1" button on the toolbar during viewing, it will room the image to 100% AND the mode will appear to change to "no fit" -- but only for this image.
Because when I move to the next image, the " auto image size " option will be reset back to whatever the default is, despite the fact I didn't check the "reset" in settings.

Basically, what I previously thought to be one thing (no fit and zoom to 100%) is actually two steps in XnView, and they don't always perform together.

The most bizzare thing, though, is the "hidden" zoom lock.
I never use "zoom lock" option in menu->view. However, it seems XnView will still lock the zoom under some circumstances.

For example, when I'm under "no fit" mode, and I zoomed my image to, say 33%, it will carry on to the next image, instead of resetting it back to 100% as I would expected.
This behavior pretty much ruined all my test results above...

Anyway, I need some clarifications about what each part is supposed to work before I can test any further :o
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

OK, after yet another batch of testings..

I figured now that the "lock zoom" only actually works when you have an auto fit mode. It will lock your zoom then, and override your auto fit mode.
It doesn't do anything if your fit mode is "no fit", because in this mode, it will keep the previous zoom regardless.

Now, it raises the question: why we need this zoom lock option, at all?

It feels redundant to me: If one wants to override his auto zoom mode and "lock the zoom", he can simply disable his autofit mode temporarily.

Sorry for mentioning ACDSee again, but in that software, the logic is, if you didn't check the "zoom lock", in "no fit" mode it will always reset back to 100% when go next/prev images. And it will only keep the zoom level if you "zoom lock".

I'm not trying to say that way s better, but in XnView way,

1) this option's function can be replaced by simply change fit mode to "no fit" .
2) It is now impossible to always switch back to 100% zoom when go previous/next image.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fireattack wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:50 am It feels redundant to me: If one wants to override his auto zoom mode and "lock the zoom", he can simply disable his autofit mode temporarily.
This need some thinking, because was used for years in XnView Classic...
2) It is now impossible to always switch back to 100% zoom when go previous/next image.
So you would like that if you are in 'not fit' mode, 100% zoom is used when using next/previous (if lock zoom is not checked)?
Pierre.
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

xnview wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:42 am This need some thinking, because was used for years in XnView Classic...
Definitely. I understand each software has their own logic and feel free to use your discretion!
xnview wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:42 am So you would like that if you are in 'not fit' mode, 100% zoom is used when using next/previous (if lock zoom is not checked)?
Exactly. That's pretty much the only thing I want but can't under current state.