0.93: Creation date and modification date problem

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Katharsas

0.93: Creation date and modification date problem

Post by Katharsas »

Version XnView MP Windows 0.93 64bits (Jan 31 2019)

Two problems (or two parts of one):

1. When changing a .jpg image with "resize" operation and saving, modification date is not updated. This should always happen (by default), because current behaviour breaks sync services. Sync programs like Dropbox or MegaSync tend to use the modification date to decide if your file is uploaded (because it is newer than cloud version) or overwritten from cloud version. For example, whenever i change a file, MegaSync overwrites my changed files with the cloud version because the modification date didn't change!

2. This can be fixed by disabling all "Keep original date/time" settings in Settings -> File Operations. But now, if i change a file and save it, is also changes the creation date, which means that this setting is unusable, because it removed creation date information (that i want to keep) for no reason.

Expected behaviour:
By default, XnView should always change modification date when file is modified, and never change creation date when a file is not created and only modified. That is the point of creation date and modification date metadata for any file and any other program i know respects this standard behaviour.
Last edited by Katharsas on Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Katharsas

Re: 0.93: Creation date and modification date problem

Post by Katharsas »

Edit:
i think i was wrong. Another test tells me that it doesn't change creation date. Im not sure now.

Still, enabling changes to modification date should be default.
benberwers

Post by benberwers »

More or less I have the same problem. I want to change from ACDSee to XnView MP, was enthusiastic about XnView MP, but run into a difficulty.

When I open photos in ACDSee I see the creation date and time the same as in my camera or mobile. Looking at the same photos in XnView MP the creation date is a couple of hours later.

Could not find the reason and asked Pier -e Gougelet of XnView for help. I sent him screenshots and some files to see the problem.
Hopefully he will look into this matter.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Katharsas wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:30 pm Still, enabling changes to modification date should be default.
you means Settings>General>File operations - Keep original date/time -> File saving?
Pierre.
benberwers

Post by benberwers »

Starting withXnView I did not change anything under "Keep original date time. All three boxes are/were ticked under it.
But still Xnview takes a later time.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you describe the steps to reproduce? and settings used...
Pierre.
benberwers

Post by benberwers »

That's difficult, Pierre, but I already sent you the original photo files already by WeTransfer and the screenshots what to see in ACDSee and the difference in XnView MP directly in an email.

Ben Berwers
benberwers

Post by benberwers »

I have to apologyze, being confused with switching from ACDSee to XnView MP with so many other possibilities.
Now I see that both programs are using the same time settings, but in a different way. I will switch to XnView MP!
So, please forget about my remarks.