Toolbar icon size too large

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

cday
XnThusiast

Toolbar icon size too large

Post by cday »

XnView MP 0.96 Windows 10 1909, on FHD screen 1920x1080

The toolbar icon size seems too large, noticeably larger than in other software including XnView Classic 2.49, although the menu text size is similar to other software.

In Tools > Settings > Interface -- ToolBar the Large icons option is unchecked.

Possibly a need for size options Large Medium Small :?:

Hasn't anyone else noticed this, I spend most of my time in Linux... :D
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Toolbar icon size too large

Post by xnview »

could you post a screenshot?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:54 am could you post a screenshot?

The following image shows the XnView MP 0.96 toolbar at the top, Xnview Classic toolbar below, and the toolbars of two other viewers below.

In the image the icons on the XnView MP toolbar are noticeably larger than the icons on the following three programs, and to me look out of proportion with the text in the interface... :wink:

All screenshots were made on the same FHD 1920x1080 screen with similar settings.

The bottom image, below the white band, shows XnView MP 0.96 with Large icons enabled, for reference.

Strip_1a.png

Not a problem in Linux...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

the icons in XnView MP has larger (24px instead 16px), but in your screenshot it seems that XnView MP use double size, do you use HDPI?
When you execute XnView MP, the first line in terminal is something like '===> x'?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:20 pm the icons in XnView MP has larger (24px instead 16px)...
That would seem to explain the size difference, if the other programs also use 16px icons...

Note that the screenshots were made on a Windows 10 laptop, FHD screen.

but in your screenshot it seems that XnView MP use double size, do you use HDPI?
It's a standard small Windows 10 laptop, any screen scaling that may have been set should be global, I presume...

When you execute XnView MP, the first line in terminal is something like '===> x'?
The Linux downloads that I have used show normal icon size, I don't execute from the terminal...

I would expect that other Windows 10 users see the same as I see, but I am possibly more visually sensitive and notice the icon size more... :wink:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cday wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:35 pm
but in your screenshot it seems that XnView MP use double size, do you use HDPI?
It's a standard small Windows 10 laptop, any screen scaling that may have been set should be global, I presume...
do you use Font scaling?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:05 pm do you use Font scaling?

The following Windows 10 1909 setting was set, for all the above screenshots:

System > Display > Scale the size of text, apps and other items set to 150% (Recommended)

But when the scaling is changed to 100%, the icons still seem too large relative to the text, 150% set top, 100% set below:

Strip 1.png

This is the Windows setting referred to:

$Windows 10 1909 Settings - Display.png

So some other reason for the icons seeming too large relative to the text in Windows 10, but not Linux, even allowing for the 24px icon size :?:
jonod

Post by jonod »

I have noticed this too. The menu font size is too big, and the buttons/icons are a bit big relative to the menu font size.
This means that on a 13" laptop the menus and buttons take more than their proper share of screen space. Would be great to have options to adjust their size.

I am also using the Windows 10 recommended 150% scaling (which suits most programmes, so I don't want to adjust that just for XnView MP).
Sablesword

Post by Sablesword »

I'm seeing a jump in icon size after upgrading from 0.98 to 0.98.1
Running Windows 7 pro 64bit with the font size set at 125%

This wouldn't be an issue for me except that vertical screen space is precious, and those extra pixels are valuable.
MARK2580

Post by MARK2580 »

Just don't use this windows function, it has always worked poorly and many programs are not optimized for it.
Sablesword

Post by Sablesword »

As a workaround, I check the "large icons" box in settings/interface/toolbar and then edit the Toolbar.ini file and change size=48 to size=18