0.97.1: Crash upon access to too many images

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.97.1: Crash upon access to too many images

Post by xnview »

you have many files, so please try to unset settings>Thumbnail - Create thumbnails for whole folder?
Pierre.
woot000

Post by woot000 »

xnview wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:00 pm you have many files, so please try to unset settings>Thumbnail - Create thumbnails for whole folder?
Sorry for the late reply, yes I have this setting disabled. It doesn't appear to make a difference, the program still crashes. I've updated to version 0.98.2 and this crash still occurs for me. I notice it is easier to cause this crash via using XnView MP's interal explorer to open more images rather than opening from the File Explorer.

After using this program for a while, I've noticed that in XnView MP's browser mode, there's a progress bar that appears on the bottom right of the corner. I'm not sure what the purpose of this progress bar is for exactly, I think it indicates that the program scanning the entire folder's files.

I suspect that this progress bar is the reason or an indicator of this crash, as the CPU and memory usage rockets up whenever it appears.
progress bar.PNG
progress bar.PNG (650 Bytes) Viewed 649 times
When I first open a folder, this progress bar appears and takes a long amount of time to complete to 100%. If the folder has a lot of images, it takes longer for the browser to open to the folder and even longer for the progress bar to complete.

If I scroll down to images without thumbnails before it hits 100%, then the progress bar resets and continues to fill slowly, even after the thumbnails are generated. After it hits 100%, scrolling down to images without thumbnails makes the progress bar appear and finish immediately after the thumbnails are generated.

I've attached some more crash dumps of the newest version if that helps.
Attachments
xnviewmp 0.98.2 crash dumps.zip
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

woot000 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:07 am I've attached some more crash dumps of the newest version if that helps.
crashs from 0.98.2 x64?
Pierre.
woot000

Post by woot000 »

xnview wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:03 pm
woot000 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:07 am I've attached some more crash dumps of the newest version if that helps.
crashs from 0.98.2 x64?
Yeah, I'm using 0.98.2 x64 on Windows 10 x64. Every time the program crashed, I was using the 64-bit version.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i can't load these crash dumps :( before the crash you have high memory usage?
Pierre.
woot000

Post by woot000 »

xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:14 pm i can't load these crash dumps :( before the crash you have high memory usage?
Yeah, before the program crashes, it uses a high amount of memory. I don't know if it shoots down as it crashes or not, maybe that explains why the crash dumps are so small?

Another thing to note is that all these crashes occured when I had the thumbnail catalog disabled. Whenever it's enabled, I can't get the program to crash (at least, I couldn't reproduce it). Perhaps the reason the program is crashing has something to do with it generating/re-generating a lot of thumbnails?