Windows 10 20H2 and file associations [Solved]

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Unikat2000

Windows 10 20H2 and file associations [Solved]

Post by Unikat2000 »

Hi,

I don't know if this is a real bug bug, but at least on my system it is causing an issue.

I was using XnViewMP on Windows 10 (1909) and had no problems registering all supported file formats with it. Now I switched to to 20H2 and something is different now.

I opened "Associate files with XnViewMP.exe" with admin rights, clicked "mark all" and then OK. After that I got an error message that setting the file associations wasn' t successfull and that admin rights are required. But the tool is already running with admin rights....so I don't know what's wrong.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Windows 10 20H2 and file associations

Post by xnview »

Unikat2000 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:08 pm I opened "Associate files with XnViewMP.exe" with admin rights, clicked "mark all" and then OK. After that I got an error message that setting the file associations wasn' t successfull and that admin rights are required. But the tool is already running with admin rights....so I don't know what's wrong.
On windows 10 you don't need to use "Associate files with XnViewMP.exe", but windows standard association dialog
settings>Integration>Set file associations
Pierre.
Unikat2000

Post by Unikat2000 »

Hi,

yes I already did this, but not all supported formats were associated with xnview and I was unable to bind the missing ones. Then suddenly they were all associated without any further do... so mystery healing / solving of this issue.....
Mapaler

Post by Mapaler »

Unikat2000 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 pm Hi,

yes I already did this, but not all supported formats were associated with xnview and I was unable to bind the missing ones. Then suddenly they were all associated without any further do... so mystery healing / solving of this issue.....
If you need to open a format that is not in the registration scope, you can try my way.
viewtopic.php?p=167791#p167791
Unikat2000

Post by Unikat2000 »

Mapaler wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:53 am If you need to open a format that is not in the registration scope, you can try my way.
viewtopic.php?p=167791#p167791
thx for the hint :)
joric

Post by joric »

I could not associate anything in 22H2. Help. Neither "Associate files with XnViewMP.exe" nor internal menu (Tools-Settings-Integration-Set file associations) work (the latter asks for administrator, but if I run XNView under administrator it just does nothing). Latest XNViewMP I'm not even kidding. Help.

Upd. I ended up changing the default app for "Photos" in Window's "Default Apps". That worked. You just have to select "XnView" instead of "Photos" there. Nothing else works. I use XnView classic and says about "Default Apps" somewhere in the file association dialogue. Problem solved but it wasn't very smooth. I'm not sure XnViewMP even mentions it.