Folder thumbnail didn't updated when add/delete photos inside

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

forklab

Folder thumbnail didn't updated when add/delete photos inside

Post by forklab »

XnView MP Windows 0.98.2 x64 and all versions last year.
This bug was all the time I'm using XnView MP. Win7 x64, Win10 x64 - no matter.

After enabling thumbnail creation:

Code: Select all

[v] Enable catalog
[v] Enable caching of thumbs
  Compression ZIP
[ ] Max cache size for thumbs - disabled
RAM for the DB - 512Mb (and++)
[ ] Check DB at start - disabled
thumbnails are generated, but when moving all files in folder to another folder, deleting files or adding files does nothing to folder thumbnail. For example, if inside folder we have 2 pictures then folder thumbnail shows them at folder image. Then move one or both photos to another location, exit upper to the parent folder and... nothing - thumbnail of the folder still shows that 2 thumbnails. Even after compressing/optimising/cleaning lost files thumbnail of the folder still shows 2 thumbs.
When we add 1 or 2 photos to the folder than it should update folder preview to 4 thumbs inside folder picture but no - same result, still 2 thumbs at folder picture.

It's very hard to understand is the folders empty or no and what's inside without entering folders.
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: Folder thumbnail didn't updated when add/delete photos inside

Post by michel038 »

The only way I found to refresh folder's icons is :
- Display the content of this folder in the browser ( you can sort by name here, to see the first photos that will be used as thumbnails)
- In "Tools, Settings, Catalog", delete the parent folder of this folder
- Go back to parent folder in the browser : icons are updated.

Caution :
Deleting a folder in Settings, Catalog table will erase star ratings, color labels, categories from photos that are in this folder. If these data were saved as xmp metadata in photos, they will be reloaded.
Data in subfolders are not modified

see also
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=41483
forklab

Re: Folder thumbnail didn't updated when add/delete photos inside

Post by forklab »

michel038, I've read your topic. I found the same solutions to "refresh" icon thumbnail, but it's a quest and I think it must be fixed with high priority.
I see that this bug born long time ago and it's a most peoples problem, almost all of them are facing this bug. And very strange that this bug exists now. Noone reported? I don't believe in that.
So good software and so bad bug.
It must work like in AcdSee or windows Explorer - updated as soon as pictures to build thumbnail are moved/deleted/changed or new candidates for thumbnails appeared.