Very strange activity when selected folder/file and pressing Shift/Ctrl with Left/Right/PgUp/PgDn/Home/End

Bugs which have been reproduced by a second user or the developer, or features to do

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

forklab

Very strange activity when selected folder/file and pressing Shift/Ctrl with Left/Right/PgUp/PgDn/Home/End

Post by forklab »

XnView MP Windows 0.98.2 x64 and all versions last year.
This bug was all the time I'm using XnView MP. Win7 x64, Win10 x64 - no matter.

It's very strange activity of the program when:
1) Find a folder where are so much files/folders that last row will be not fully filled.
2) Select any of the file or folder at the column where are last row has a picture. If select a file under free space at last row it will work another way.
3) Press Ctrl-PgUp/Ctrl-PgDn (Ctrl-Left/Ctrl-Right).
at this moment something happens - backgroung picture of selected file/folder changes (if css-stylesheets for that element different enough to see)
4) we can press 1-2-3 and more times Ctrl-PgUp/Ctrl-PgDn (Ctrl-Left/Ctrl-Right) then press Left/Right after that -

If we pressed Ctrl-PgUp/Ctrl-PgDn before Left/Right then our cursor will inadequately jump to the first/last line of files/folders and to the left or right of the column of our previously selected file. If we pressed Ctrl-Left/Ctrl-Right n-times and then Left/Right then we will jump with selection to the file/folder that was n-times left/right to our selected file.

Correct behavior would be and must be like that:
1) If we presses Ctrl-PgUp/Ctrl-PgDn then selection is not changed but our view jumps 1 page upper or 1 page lower. And after pressing Left/Right we must jump to view where we see our previously selected file/folder but our selection must be 1 file/folder to the left or to the right depending on which button we pressed.
2) If we presses Ctrl-Left/Ctrl-Right then selection is not changed and our view not changed because we have no horisontal scroll. Pressing Left/Right must be as at 1)

PS: when we edit filename of selected file and press Ctrl-PgUp/Ctrl-PgDn then editing is cancelled (it's not correct, I must continue to edit filename) and all everything the same as before.
Last edited by forklab on Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forklab

Re: Very strange activity when selected folder/file and pressing Ctrl-Left/Right/PgUp/PgDn then Left-Right

Post by forklab »

Attached video.
bugs.mp4
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Very strange activity when selected folder/file and pressing Ctrl-Left/Right/PgUp/PgDn then Left-Right

Post by xnview »

By using Ctrl+Left/right/up/down, you change the current focus but not the current selection
Pierre.
forklab

Post by forklab »

xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:17 pm By using Ctrl+Left/right/up/down, you change the current focus but not the current selection
Lot of the programs (most I've used for 30+ years) uses Ctrl-Left/Right/Up/Down/PgUp/PgDown to leave selection where it is but scroll visible area to according number of lines/pages.
forklab

Post by forklab »

Using XnView with keyboard is always a pain.
Please, fix this bugs.
Just enter to the directory with pics (morethan one screen - better) and try to use keys Left/Right/Up/Down/Home/End/Backspace and use modificator keys - Shift/Ctrl/Alt. There is no need to write a long description of what will happen. Just try any keys and combinations, try to select with Shift/Ctrl to the left-right-up-down-end-start etc, and see with your own eyes. Sometimes there is a strong desire to break something or kill someone.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok i'll check how to fix it
Pierre.
forklab

Re: Very strange activity when selected folder/file and pressing Shift/Ctrl with Left/Right/PgUp/PgDn/Home/End

Post by forklab »

PS: it's not for that topic, but I don't want to create new topic for this (too small problem):
.zip and .exe contents at downloads page always differs from each other, few years as I watch. And between XnConvert and XnViewMP too.
For example - "plugins\qml" dir contents & and "qml\QtQuick\Controls", "AddOn\ICCProfiles", "languages", "plugins\imageformats" etc.

PPS: ontopic. Seems like you fixed this (don't know all or not, will use some time and if something will be wrong - I'll reply here), but in the WhatsNew.txt I think you write wrong text - #1420, Bug, "Selection... is inconsistent" and topic #34297. But reading that topic shows that reported there are not full report and bugtracker shows that it was fixed in 2018... So maybe WhatsNew.txt #1420 link must be corrected to this topic?

Thanks for everything.
forklab

Post by forklab »

xnview wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:06 am ok i'll check how to fix it
Is there any progress?
Just tested it now in 1.5.3:
1) entered dir with almost full one row of pictures, 6 jpegs & 1 png
2) Shift-End - seems like all files selected, Shift-Home, Shift-End, Shift-Home few times - seems ok
3) End (png selected), Shift-Home, Shift-End, Shift-Home, Shift-End - seems ok
4) Home, Shift-End - oops, selection is broken, selection jumped to the last png without selecting all files
5) Home, Shift-Right - crazy selection - selected all files except first
And so on...