Renaming labels not possible

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Arianisus

Renaming labels not possible

Post by Arianisus »

XnView:
XnView MP Windows Version 0.96.4 64bits (Jun 30 2020)
XnView MP Windows Version 0.98.4 64bits (May 28 2021)
and more

(this issue has been persistent for me over multiple Windows/XnViewMP versions and installs)

In XnViewMP, the already built-in function to rename the five color labels (that is, to change the name of a color label in the overall UI of XnViewMP as well as change what label descriptors should be written and read into EXIF and other tag data) appears to not be working properly/does not update the names in the UI.

Effect: No customization of the label names is possible even though the option seems to be made just for this

To reproduce:
(0. Might require you to chose to store values in Program Folder (.ini) during setup, see notes!)
1. Navigate to Settings > Metadata > Labels
2. Rename any of the Labels in the first field
3. Close the settings with OK
Actual behaviour (bug): XnView does not update the label names anywhere else, and going back to this settings menu appears to revert the values to their defaults (i.e. "Red", "Yellow", ...) even when restarting XnViewMP or the system after changing these settings.

Expected behaviour: Label name should update in the UI (e.g. in the Categories Filter panel)

Notes:
- any values in the "Read" and "Write" fields appear to be working properly
- I have tested this over multiple versions and installs of XnViewMP
- even resetting your PC via the built in Windows option does not seem to change this behaviour
- it seems as if values are written to the .ini file; opening it reveals that

Code: Select all

[ColorLabel] label_1=Images
got applied. It seems as if XnViewMP just ignores this value...?
- this appears to be a problem related to where you chose to store your values during initial setup. I chose "Program Folder". After installing a normal version via the .exe installer, and chosing where to store my options, this question did not appear again after I uninstalled and reinstalled XnViewMP. I assume that later installs managed to pull some leftover registry keys or something and didn't ask for storage location again. They did not save settings into the program install folder afterwards. So, to replicate this, you might need to manually set these values again via Settings > Integration (everything you can to Program)
- In my testing this is not an issue if you had your XnView settings saved via Windows registry
- changing to .ini file will not allow you to change back to Windows registry (option resets upon restarting XnViewMP). Replicatable?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Renaming labels not possible

Post by xnview »

Arianisus wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:11 am - this appears to be a problem related to where you chose to store your values during initial setup. I chose "Program Folder". After installing a normal version via the .exe installer, and chosing where to store my options, this question did not appear again after I uninstalled and reinstalled XnViewMP. I assume that later installs managed to pull some leftover registry keys or something and didn't ask for storage location again. They did not save settings into the program install folder afterwards. So, to replicate this, you might need to manually set these values again via Settings > Integration (everything you can to Program)
Do you have the rights to write in the program folder?
Pierre.