XnView 1.96 beta 2

Feedback and Comments on the new 1.96 Test version on Windows.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

XnView 1.96 beta 2

Post by xnview »

XnView 1.96 beta 2 can be downloaded here

Please make a new post for bugs...
Pierre.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

And again you have put an empty ini in the zip...grumble...where is my backup...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pic_viewer wrote:And again you have put an empty ini in the zip...grumble...where is my backup...
There is an empty .ini in this package to not erase old one...
Pierre.
hilbrands

Ding

Post by hilbrands »

Nice job, however

My vista home premium plays the windows Ding.wav every time I select a picture in the browser.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Ding

Post by xnview »

hilbrands wrote: My vista home premium plays the windows Ding.wav every time I select a picture in the browser.
???? what?
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
pic_viewer wrote:And again you have put an empty ini in the zip...grumble...where is my backup...
I don't understand. If the old one is in the program folder and you copy the new files there, old, sometimes the only, xnview.ini will be replaced with this one - and all settings are lost! xnview.ini should NOT be included in the package, never IMO!

BTW thanks for beta 2. :wink:
Dreamer
hilbrands

Ding

Post by hilbrands »

Problem solved.
Running the program from the programfolder solved the problem.
Sorry.

Geert Hilbrands
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:
I don't understand. If the old one is in the program folder and you copy the new files there, old, sometimes the only, xnview.ini will be replaced with this one - and all settings are lost! xnview.ini should NOT be included in the package, never IMO!
It's better to create a new folder for beta
Pierre.
rra

Post by rra »

When installing the beta-2 I get the error:

"This application failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found"

The application however seems to work OK .
Thanks very much so far ..

René
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:It's better to create a new folder for beta
I know, but there are many beta-testers, even normal/novice users can test the beta version, since it's public, they could lost the settings very easy. So my opinion is very clear, xnview.ini should not be included in any package of xnview (official, beta, RC, MP...). I lost the settings from other programs long time ago (as a novice user) and I know how annoying it is.
Dreamer
Clo
XnThusiast

Not always…

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Pierre

:) Hello !
It's better to create a new folder for beta
• Not really for all users… For instance, here I've already four installed versions, if I create another directory,
I would have to import an INI with “sufficient” settings, change it by hand because the paths are different and so on…
- Moreover, I have been bound to create separate registry keys for each version, or else that led to a pretty garbage…
- Hence, I keep a version to make tests (always the same) and its INI in the XnView folder.

- Like Dreamer says, losing the current INI is VERY annoying…
- Personally, I solve the issue by keeping a copy in each skin sub-dir. I use,
because I can change the skin easily from a *.bat file… ;)

• I think that XnView might always create and update a backup of the current INI when set in its own dir. something like :
xnview.ini.back, maybe as an option (for the foolhardy users who don't want it).

- And the trick is played ! :D

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

IMHO it makes no sense to put the beta in a different folder and thus start with everything from scratch. How can I see if bugs get fixed when my working environment is completely changed? I can not.

And I do daily backups (as everyone should do ;-) ) so had no problem to restore my inis (or the whole program if necessary).
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

pic_viewer wrote:IMHO it makes no sense to put the beta in a different folder and thus start with everything from scratch. How can I see if bugs get fixed when my working environment is completely changed? I can not.
I agree, that's why I only use "C:\Program Files (x86)\XnView"
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
Jaff

Post by Jaff »

Dreamer wrote:So my opinion is very clear, xnview.ini should not be included in any package of xnview (official, beta, RC, MP...). I lost the settings from other programs long time ago (as a novice user) and I know how annoying it is.
+1 I totally agree with that
Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real, doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...
aE3

ini is important

Post by aE3 »

I can't see the problems about the beta containing the ini file, firstly all you need to do before installing over the top of the previous beta is to archive the whole folder (or at least your ini). I never unpack the included ini unless I'm doing a fresh installation.
The reason why it's needed in the package is that without it the program would be incomplete & as xnview beta's are posted on other sites,, new users wouldn't be able to run it properly.

btw - thanks pierre for such a good program.