XnConvert Save Script Text is lost if Disabled

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

DoubleD

XnConvert Save Script Text is lost if Disabled

Post by DoubleD »

I'm using XnConvert to add text to some of my photos.

In Actions, I'm adding several lines of text on photos. In some cases I wish to disable a couple of the lines of text. Disabling works fine BUT if I save the script the disabled lines are not saved. Reactivating the lines of text is a real hassle - Set position, select fonts, colors, aspect ... . Is there a setting where XnConvert will save disabled actions? I'm making different batches of photos and I want the ability of turning the text on or off ...

If no can I suggest a change so that disabled Actions are retained when a script is saved?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: XnConvert Save Script Text is lost if Disabled

Post by cday »

DoubleD wrote:I'm using XnConvert to add text to some of my photos.

In Actions, I'm adding several lines of text on photos. In some cases I wish to disable a couple of the lines of text.
You are using multiple Image > Text actions and disabling one of them when required?
Disabling works fine BUT if I save the script the disabled lines are not saved. Reactivating the lines of text is a real hassle - Set position, select fonts, colors, aspect ...
Couldn't you enable all text actions before saving the script, and then when you reload the script disable any actions that are not required at any time?

Or, depending on the exact circumstances, could you possibly use multiple scripts, or possibly multiple instances of XnConvert?
DoubleD wrote:Is there a setting where XnConvert will save disabled actions?

If no, can I suggest a change so that disabled Actions are retained when a script is saved?
I don't know of any setting, but modifying XnConvert so that all actions, whether enabled or disabled, are saved might be a useful enhancement... :D

I don't know how difficult that would be, and it would be up to Pierre who currently has a long to-do list... :(

Note: Your duplicate post today in the XnView Classic section will probably be deleted later by a mod. :wink:
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

A1.png
cday wrote: Couldn't you enable all text actions before saving the script, and then when you reload the script disable any actions that are not required at any time?
Yeah that's the problem - I put all the text in and then I disable the text when I need to. THEN I forget to re-enable the text so it will be saved. Also XnConvert remembers your last actions that is if they are all enabled so if I just exit, thinking oh it will be there when I come back the disabled text line is gone.
cday wrote: ...modifying XnConvert so that all actions, whether enabled or disabled, are saved might be a useful enhancement... :D

I don't know how difficult that would be, and it would be up to Pierre who currently has a long to-do list... :(
I think this would be an awesome enhancement. :D
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

O.k., thank you, I can also reproduce the problem. See issue 1311 for current status and some details. I'll post here once the problem has been fixed.
Pierre.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

xnview wrote:O.k., thank you, I can also reproduce the problem. See issue 1311 for current status and some details. I'll post here once the problem has been fixed.

Oh COOL! :D You can reproduce (the link sez you haven't tried to reproduce) but I see that it also sez you fixed it that's wonderful !!!!

The link shows version .88 and on the download page I see XnConvert 1.75 so would fix be in 1.88 ?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

DoubleD wrote:Oh COOL! :D You can reproduce (the link sez you haven't tried to reproduce) but I see that it also sez you fixed it that's wonderful !!!!

The link shows version .88 and on the download page I see XnConvert 1.75 so would fix be in 1.88 ?
XnConvert is, in effect, the batch convert function in XnView MP: 0.88 will be the next XnView MP version, and it can be presumed that the fix will also be included in the next XnConvert version when it is released.

If XnView MP 0.88 is released incorporating the fix, probably first in a beta version, you could use the batch conversion function as a temporary workaround... :D
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

cday wrote: XnConvert is, in effect, the batch convert function in XnView MP: 0.88 will be the next XnView MP version, and it can be presumed that the fix will also be included in the next XnConvert version when it is released.

If XnView MP 0.88 is released incorporating the fix, probably first in a beta version, you could use the batch conversion function as a temporary workaround... :D
Yeah that's what I use XnConvert not XnView MP I guess I'll have to wait for XnConvert to be released
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

So How does one get version .88 of xnConvert? The download page only shows 1.75 - Also I only see version .87 for XnViewMP - I'm loading a new machine and would love to have the newer versions of both - I sometimes use xnConvert stand alone not through XnViewMP
cday wrote: XnConvert is, in effect, the batch convert function in XnView MP: 0.88 will be the next XnView MP version, and it can be presumed that the fix will also be included in the next XnConvert version when it is released.

DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

xnview wrote:O.k., thank you, I can also reproduce the problem. See issue 1311 for current status and some details. I'll post here once the problem has been fixed.
OK I re-read these posts and I see you found the problem and fixed it but it will not be available in XnViewMp version .88 and that version is yet to be released. I'm not sure how or what triggers an update to the stand-a-lone XnConvert but I will keep my eye out for both.

A silly question; If I install XnViewMP can I directly invoke Xnconvert without starting XnViewMP (and without having to also installing XnConvert since its bundled with XnViewMp)?