Possible solution for Linux distribution problems

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux
Danny

Possible solution for Linux distribution problems

Postby Danny » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:49 am

Since it's a lot of work to support all the different types of distros, have you considered using something like http://flatpak.org ? It allows you to package your software as a single file app that includes all its dependencies, so it's (largely) independent from the distro. So if it works on your PC, and you've included all the required stuff, it should run anywhere that Flatpak is supported.

Apps can be installed from GNOME Software, which is part of Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch, Mageia (Debian, openSUSE coming soon). I know Ubuntu has Snap, but since your .deb files usually work already while the RPMs are often broken, I'd suggest Flatpak. You're not loosing anything AFAIK.

Just a heads up. I'm currently running the Windows version through WINE, because neither the RPM version nor the TGZ one works for me on Fedora.
Last edited by Danny on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Possible solution for Linux distribution problems

Postby xnview » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:00 am

Danny wrote:Just a heads up. I'm currently running the Windows version through WINE, because neither the RPM version nor the TGZ one works for me on Fedora.

Fedora there is problem of glibc, do you have tried the fedora package?
Pierre.

Danny

Postby Danny » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:42 am

xnview wrote:
Danny wrote:Just a heads up. I'm currently running the Windows version through WINE, because neither the RPM version nor the TGZ one works for me on Fedora.

Fedora there is problem of glibc, do you have tried the fedora package?

Code: Select all

error while loading shared libraries: libQt5MultimediaWidgets.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Probably because I don't have Qt installed. But I'm not interested in XnViewMP anyway, only XnConvert.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.

Danny

Postby Danny » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Bump. Any plans towards Flatpak (or something like it)? It's simple, really: http://flatpak.org/hello-world

thecursedfly

Postby thecursedfly » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Danny wrote:Bump. Any plans towards Flatpak (or something like it)? It's simple, really: http://flatpak.org/hello-world

I love this application and just switched to Fedora 27 from Windows, and for me both the rpm and the tgz don't work, so I also support the flatpak packaging :D

Just for the record, the rpm gives me the following error:
$ sudo dnf install XnConvert-linux.x86_64.rpm
Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'Dropbox', disabling.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:33:17 ago on Sun 12 Nov 2017 17:55:29 GMT.
Error:
Problem: conflicting requests
- nothing provides libQt5EglDeviceIntegration.so.5()(64bit) needed by xnconvert-1.75-2.x86_64

With the tgz the application launches but no characters can be seen.

Anyway, the flatpak option is likely the most (linux) universal and easiest to use! 8)

junker

Postby junker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Same problem for me... it's really sad not to be able to use XnConvert on Fedora.

Return to “XnConvert”